Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The burial records may have further details but many tombstones have worn poorly over the years or been destroyed.

This maybe relevant- if you look on Synagogue Scribes Will extracts you will see NA 1351 John Treves 1842 where he names Sarah Moravia as his adopted daughter. She also appears in NA 1350 Sarah Samuda 1809 spinster where Sarah Moravia is living with Mr Treves Meyer. This Sarah appears in the 1851 Census as the sister of Deborah Martin and as an aunt in 1861 census living with Emma Martin at 90 Leman Street.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Famous for offering help & advice

thank you very much

I won't keep bothering you !

CemeteryScribes

Sadly there are no tombstones remaining for any of those buried at Nuevo up to 1875 as they were all removed when the remains were moved to Brentwood to allow for Queen Mary Uni to expand.

Marriage -Israel de Isaac Moravi-Ester de Moseh Baruh 1773.

See also Synagogue Scribes- GSM 308/57 Frances Baruh 19 August 1835- father's Hebrew name Daniel Baruch;spouse Isaac Lyon. This may or may not be relevant to Ester Baruh or her lines.

thank you

forgive my ignorance - does Israel de Isaac mean Israel son of Isaac ?

The Sephardic naming tradition is after a living relative whereas the Ashkenazim don't name their children of living relatives. This is to do with different customs. In Ashkenazi tradition, if the grandparents are dead, a first son is named after their paternal grandfather and thev second son after their maternal grandfather. You will see "ben" for son of and "bat" for daughter of.

If you look at various Jewish wills you can often see the various alias they used so family names can be very different and it is not uncommon for brothers and sisters to have totally different surnames from each other.

If you look on the website SephardicGen under the heading Sephardic Surname list you will see hundreds of surnames with index numbers. These index numbers refer to the sources of the names. Baruh and Moravia are listed together with index numbers. The index number 40 refers to the Circumcision Register of Isaac and Abraham de Paiba 1715-1775 plus other sources such as marriages and births. These records contain family names and other relatives such as God parents.

From memory, I posted in more detail about the records on another thread/post but at present I can't remember which one. However, there are Bevis Marks records and sources which maybe accessed but you might want to look more in depth at the sources and how you can access them if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    From memory, I posted in more detail about the records on another thread/post but at present I can't remember which one. However, there are Bevis Marks records and sources which maybe accessed but you might want to look more in depth at the sources and how you can access them if possible.
    you mention the register at #38 in this thread
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...EL-DUQUE/page4

but anyway, thank you for your time

Those buried in the Novo Cemetery 1733-1875 were disinterred and placed in communal pits at Brentwood. Looking at the various online sites several thousand bodies were exhumed. It appears that no photographs of the tombstones were taken prior to removal and I have not seen evidence as to what happened to the tombstones.
    Unfortunately both Israel and Esther would be part of the removal given the date of their death and burial.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...s/82004-wimsey
    I don't know if you ever found the answers to your questions about the Moravia brothers, Moses and Israel, but I have some information about an earlier generation of the family. I have discovered that in the late 17th-early 18th centuries the family were in Livorno, Tuscany, a major centre of Italian Jewry in the 17th and 18th centuries due to the relative freedoms they enjoyed there and its role as a port. On 12 Feb 1701, Eliezer Moravia and his wife Guele had a son, Moise (Moses). The entire family appear to have emigrated to London at some point. Eliezer died and was buried at the Novo Cemetery on 17 November 1752. Moses was also buried at the Novo Cemetery on 11 January 1767. Before this, in 1750 he was sentenced to one year in prison, pillory and a fine for commissioning the sinking of a ship for the purposes of insurance fraud. In 1755 he was declared bankrupt.

Eliezer and Guele also had two daughters, Cara (b.1692) and Gracia (b.1705), both born in Livorno. These sisters also moved to London, where on the same day, 26 November 1732, they married their respective husbands, Gabriel Treves and Solomon Vita Rietti. Gabriel and Solomon (my wife's 5 x great-grandfather) were also born in Livorno and must have sent for the brides once they were established in London.

I don't have a name for a wife or children for Eliezer's son Moses, so I don't know how they relate to your Moses and Israel (uncle? father?). Do you happen to know?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast