Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default David Shaw search for Arthur James Ward et al

Principally researching my Grandfather Arthur James Ward born June 21 1898 Hebburn, died November 13 1961 Grimsby. Served in WW1 and WW2. Joined Territorial Force October 25 1915 Private 4146, later acquired number 2021242, serving in 3/5 Northumberland Fusiliers and later transfered to Royal Dublin Fusiliers, poss service number 43886. In TA between wars 233 Northumberland Field Company Royal Engineers. Sapper, rising to Sergeant June 8 1939. WW2 embodied Sept 3 1939 sent to France and 'Returned to UK from Dunkirk Evacuation June 4 1940. Apparently among the last to be rescued thanks to the destroyer HMS Shikari. Grateful for any information on him or his units, inc battles fought etc. Many thanks. David Shaw PS: As well as Ward my wider interest includes the following surnames: Shaw, Horner, Lister, Roy, Teasdale, Stewart/Stuart and Calder.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Davy

Can I just ask where the service number 2021242 comes from, as his WW1 records show only 4146 (1st Northumberland Fusiliers) and 43886 (2nd Royal Dublin Fusiliers). I also believe that WW1 service numbers were a maximum of 6 digits, unless there was a prefix, although I'm happy to be corrected on that.

The only person with the name AJ Ward born 1898 that I can see on the lists of WW2 soldiers born before 1901 (released online under a Freedom of Information request) had service No. 5820542 and his DoB was recorded as 18 Jun 1898

If you haven't already, you can obtain his post-WW1 service record from the MoD: https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Hi Davy

Can I just ask where the service number 2021242 comes from, as his WW1 records show only 4146 (1st Northumberland Fusiliers) and 43886 (2nd Royal Dublin Fusiliers). I also believe that WW1 service numbers were a maximum of 6 digits, unless there was a prefix, although I'm happy to be corrected on that.

The only person with the name AJ Ward born 1898 that I can see on the lists of WW2 soldiers born before 1901 (released online under a Freedom of Information request) had service No. 5820542 and his DoB was recorded as 18 Jun 1898

If you haven't already, you can obtain his post-WW1 service record from the MoD: https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
    Jomot1: Thank you for your reply re my paternal Grandfather Arthur James Ward. The 2021242 service number relates to his service in the TA between the wars joining April 23 1926 233rd Northumberland Field Co. Royal Engineers. Attended all summer camps, other training; various promotions becoming Sgt June 8 1939. Embodied into action same day as war declared September 3 1939. Sent to France (undated) and no further detail except 'Returned to UK from Dunkirk evacuation' Info from his service records from Army Personnel Centre, Historical Disclosures Dept. Birth and death dates accurate - have certificates. Are you in any way related please as I'm trying to trace wider family. Happy to exchange further info. Best wishes, David.

Famous for offering help & advice

No, I'm not related but was just doing a look-up for his service numbers as your post implied he went from 4146 to 2021242 and then 43886.

I wasn't sure whether TA numbers were retained when a man was called up and wondered if perhaps he'd been re-numbered & misfiled, but with hindsight I think not as 2021242 would certainly fall within the numbers issued to the Royal Engineers at that time, whereas 5820542 is more likely to have served in the Suffolk Regiment.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Davy,

As you're trying to trace your/your grandfather's wider family, you need to start with his birth.
    As you already have Arthur's birth certificate you will know that his parents are Arthur James Ward and Florence Phillips/Philips.

In the 1901 census Arthur is living at 35 Swindon Street,Hebburn with his parents Arthur aged 24, Florence, aged, 25, and baby brother Edward, aged 4 months.
    Arthur senior and Florence both born Jarrow, children both born Hebburn, and Arthur senior is a shipward plumber. Census reference RG13/4744 folio 76 page 36.

Arthur James Ward and Florence Phillips married June quarter 1897, South Shields registration district.

By 1911 there are yet more siblings.
    Census reference RG14/PN30380 SN76
    Living 48 Lyons Lane, Hebburn.

Arthur, 34, plumber
    Florence. 35
    Arthur, 12
    Edward, 10,
    Robert, 7,
    Ada, 5
    Florence, 3
    John William, 3 months
    John Phillips, father-in-law, 66, widower, on parish relief
    Arthur senior born Jarrow; Florence and all childen born Hebburn. John Phillips born St Warnids, Herefordshire, though looking at a list of parishes in Herefordshire I think it's probably supposed to be St Weonards.

You're slightly hindered by Ward being a relatively common name but it's not insurmountable. Try to bring those names forward via the 1939 Register, plus the names of any aunts/uncles/cousins you can remember. Though from the last sentence in your first post
    As well as Ward my wider interest includes the following surnames: Shaw, Horner, Lister, Roy, Teasdale, Stewart/Stuart and Calder. [
    I suspect that you've already got a lot of them sorted.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you, Pam. Especially for John Philips which is new to me. I had his name as William Philips. Have quite a few Wards back to late 1780s in Essex, moving to Tyneside about 1870. I'll keep digging!!