Thread: Service Number

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Service Number

Hi, new to this. I am trying to find out if my deceased) father is entitled to any WW2 medals. He didn't talk too much about his service. He was Irish but crossed the border to Northern Ireland towards the end of the war and joined the RAF in Newtown Northern Ireland. I have found another site but I need his service number before I can proceed, where would I go to find it. I do have a bit more info but not sure if it is important at this stage. Any help putting me on the right track would be appreciated. Thank you Regards Karon

Settling in

You can download an application form for medals from the Veterans Agency which may be of help to you. My Wife used them to obtain her Grandfather's WW2 medals and like yourself had no service number. Veterans UK- GOV.UK and when open click on medals and badges in menu list, happy hunting and all of the best in your search.
    Best regards
    rapidh32

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums karonpearce.
    If you came to us from Forces war records reading this will explain the connection.

You can apply for your father's service record which is still held by the MoD and you do not need his service number. This 'sticky' explains and gives the link where you can download the application forms.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you

Starting to feel at home

I managed to find my father's service number by accident.
    I googled him by name and rank-it came up with various entries in the London Gazette showing promotions, postings etc- and they all gave his service number.
    Of course it helps to have an uncommon name! There was only one other person with the same name among the entries. If you are looking for Smith or Jones you might have problems.
    I believe the National Archives have some lists as well.
    Good luck

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by auburn View Post
    I managed to find my father's service number by accident.
    I googled him by name and rank-it came up with various entries in the London Gazette showing promotions, postings etc- and they all gave his service number.
    Of course it helps to have an uncommon name! There was only one other person with the same name among the entries. If you are looking for Smith or Jones you might have problems.
    I believe the National Archives have some lists as well.
    Good luck
    Thank you, As my father was Irish it is proving a bit more difficult, Couldn't find anything with your suggestion but will keep going.

Kind regards
    Karon

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you