Default Help with a search

Hello everyone, I hope this is the right room!
    I am the President of an Association of Historical Research in Rome that deals with doing research to return any dog tags found in Italy free of charge to families.
    I'm doing a particular search, a cutlery was found engraved with perhaps the serial number of a soldier.
    The number should be 6970072.
    Is it possible from this number to go back to the military and possibly also find any heirs?

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums. If you came to us from Forces War Records this will explain the connection.

Unfortunately WW11 service records are still held by the MoD and are obtainable for the price of 30 pounds but name, birth date, death date are needed so will be of no help to you.
    From 1920 onwards a person in the services was given one regimental number which never changed and this site says the number you have falls in to the numbers allocated to those in the Rifle Brigade.

You can search the Commonwealth War Graves site to see if the number belongs to someone who was killed in the war. https://www.cwgc.org/ I didn't get a result.
    I also didn't get any results when using the regimental number to search The London Gazette.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs