Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Can you confirm James PoB on the '71 Census - your opening post specifies "Newbury 1851-1891"?
    I cannot find James under "born Newbury" in '71. There is a James Long, 58, waiter, born Witney Oxon with Susan Long, 60, Cook, born Faringdon Berks. (census ref RG10 1437 49 22). Would appear to be "your couple".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Yes, this is the right entry. I had forgotten about this mention of Oxford. Apologies.

As an aside, Eliza Long (b1837) who married Thomas Mealand named a son Alfred Thomas GILES Mealand (b 1861 Lambeth, Surrey). This suggests the name Giles may be relevant.

Thanks for confirming. Didn't read too much into the '71 entry - a so called "senior moment" perhaps or transcription error by the enumerator, who knows?

I've been checking out a James Long baptism, 12 Sep Feb 1813, Tadley (Hants), about 10 miles from Newbury in order to rule him out as "your" James. I think he's probably the James Long that married Ann Dobson, at Bamber, 28 Feb 1835 and is on the '41 and '51 Census.

I note in '41 James was in the Mackworth Arms - a famous name in Swansea but now long gone. If it was still there I could have nipped along to check if anyone there remembered him - any excuse for a quick one!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Thanks for confirming. Didn't read too much into the '71 entry - a so called "senior moment" perhaps or transcription error by the enumerator, who knows?

I've been checking out a James Long baptism, 12 Sep Feb 1813, Tadley (Hants), about 10 miles from Newbury in order to rule him out as "your" James. I think he's probably the James Long that married Ann Dobson, at Bamber, 28 Feb 1835 and is on the '41 and '51 Census.

I note in '41 James was in the Mackworth Arms - a famous name in Swansea but now long gone. If it was still there I could have nipped along to check if anyone there remembered him - any excuse for a quick one!
    I'd happily buy that drink for you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12