Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Red face Michael Barrett 40th and 63rd regiment 1817+

Hi, I am looking for the service records for Michael Barrett who served in 40th, went to Tasmania (Van Diemens Land) and transferred to 63rd in 1829 when 40th was going to India. he resigned in 1835 and settled in Tasmania. Or that is what the story is, but i would like to locate his service records to confirm. i have plenty of evidence of his service in 40th and his life in Tasmania but cannot find his service record. i have tried the national archives UK and there is a Michael Barrett 40th but that is not him. there are two apparently. i have some Find my Past credits available as i had to purchase some to get the wrong Michael Barrett document. i have a yearly subscription with Ancestry and have 1 week left of a 2 week trial for My Heritage. Surely i would be able to locate this record with all these options. but i cant. could someone please point me in the right direction. Lots of various family trees have all this military info listed but I cannot see where has came from. I am trying to contact various tree creators to see how i can also locate the military records. Some of the trees also contain facts that my research shows are not exactly correct so I am not confident re the 63rd unless i can locate the service record myself. Any assistance will be wonderful. Thank you. Robyn Smith. Queensland Australia

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    You are very wise to double check everything found on line, especially when the names are not rare.
    Why do you think that the Barrett you’ve found with the 40th is not yours?
    Can we assume that you have been checking spelling variations? It was quite flexible before WW1.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by RobynSmithQld View Post
    Hi, I am looking for the service records for Michael Barrett who served in 40th, went to Tasmania (Van Diemens Land) and transferred to 63rd in 1829 when 40th was going to India. he resigned in 1835 and settled in Tasmania. Or that is what the story is, but i would like to locate his service records to confirm. i have plenty of evidence of his service in 40th and his life in Tasmania but cannot find his service record. i have tried the national archives UK and there is a Michael Barrett 40th but that is not him. there are two apparently. i have some Find my Past credits available as i had to purchase some to get the wrong Michael Barrett document. i have a yearly subscription with Ancestry and have 1 week left of a 2 week trial for My Heritage. Surely i would be able to locate this record with all these options. but i cant. could someone please point me in the right direction. Lots of various family trees have all this military info listed but I cannot see where has came from. I am trying to contact various tree creators to see how i can also locate the military records. Some of the trees also contain facts that my research shows are not exactly correct so I am not confident re the 63rd unless i can locate the service record myself. Any assistance will be wonderful. Thank you. Robyn Smith. Queensland Australia
    Hi Robyn - sorry for the tardy reply to your query.

My 3rd GGFather (Edward Mackay) was enlisted in the 63rd Regiment of Foot in 1819, and served in VDL between 1829 and 1833. He relocated to India in 1833 with his family, who travelled with him around the Regiment's postings.

I was lucky enough to be able to search The National Archives in Kew, London in 2016 for the 63rd Muster Rolls. Sadly, these documents are not digitised and have to be researched manually. I have a very good researcher who charges very modest fees for manual searches at Kew.

PM me for details, if you are interested!

Megan in Sydney Australia