Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Electoral roll enquiry

I have just stumbled across this brilliant resource after many years of unsuccessful researching for a mysterious Uncle.

This post is to ask for advice on finding who lived at an address at the time of the certificate I'm studying. Unfortunately the year is 1917 when I understand records were not taken. The years either side of this would be of interest though.
    The address in question is 301, Sherrard Road, Manor Park, Registration district West Ham.

I have been unable to find this information on Ancestry but hope that somone more skilled than me might have more success.

Here's hoping.......,

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Lin,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Firstly, I've moved your query to the 'Electoral Rolls' forum which is more appropriate.

When you have no name to search for, and have only the name of a road, it is quite difficult to find.
    You have to understand how the registers are compiled, starting with the parliamentary borough or division, then by ward, and then in alpha order of the street.

I had a real by remembering that at the top of at least the 1901 census returns there are a load of boxes beginning with civil parish, ecclesiastical parish and including (fourth along in 1901) one beginning 'Ward'. In 1901, 301 Sherrard Road is in Plashet Ward. It then gets a bit confusing because the box headed 'Parliamentary Borough or Division says (I think) Southern or Romford.

Ancestry allows you to browse the London electoral rolls. If you haven't spotted it, then look on the right-hand side of the page. Although you can select Romford as the county/borough the only district/ward available is Havering for 1964 and 1965. Plan B is to select West Ham, and Plashet Ward is listed there. But again only for 1964 and 1965, so it doesn't look as if Sherrard Road is online for earlier years.

I am not the brightest spark at searching the London Metropolitan Archives website, and in desperation tried 'West Ham electoral' and got two results for for 1964 and 1965 plus three results for the 1990s, so LMA probably doesn't have the earlier registers. The question of 'who does' induced further brain-racking and googling to come up with what I think is the answer - Newham Archives and Local Studies Library because the website does say 'electoral rolls'.
    https://www.newham.gov.uk/libraries-...story-archives

Whether they will do a look-up I don't know. They may say that you will charged x amount for the look-up. If so, only you can decided if the price is worth paying for information which may or may not be helpful, and whether it's cost-effective compared to the travelling time and cost of the train fare from Wales.
    Remember to say it's Sherrard Road, Plashet Ward, West Ham.

This page gives a little more information about electoral rolls in general, years taken, etc.
    https://www.bl.uk/collection-guides/...oral-registers

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

West Ham was in Essex in 1917. You can't expect to find much in the London Metropolitan Archives collections. Perhaps you should try Essex Records Office.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for your warm welcome.
    Apologies for the misplaced post. I'm new to the world of forums!

Thanks also for taking the trouble to give such a comprehensive & helpful answer which I look forward to following up.

Regards,
    Lin

Lin, don't worry bout the misplaced post. Yours wasn't the first and it won't be the last.
    It's quite a simple thing to move a post to another forum.

I should perhaps have added that if you want to search for a person living in a town/village, and you have no idea of the address then you have to go through the whole of the electoral roll, page by page, noting all the people with the names you want. You cannot just say 'oh there's Fred and Freda Bloggs' because there can easily be more than one couple with those names in that town. No ages of the people are given, and the rolls only include people who were/are old enough to vote. And most women under the age of 30 didn't get the vote until 1928.

Pam

It was somewhat frustrating to find a 1915 electoral roll on FindMyPast headed "PARISH OF EAST HAM - PLASHET WEST WARD (except Manor Park District) - Plashet Polling District" which only covered numbers 1-195 and 2-208 Sherrard Road, Forest Gate.

The electoral roll for Manor Park Polling District (Parish of East Ham, Manor Park Ward) is dated 1911 but does not include Sherrard Road.

Checked 1911 Census - No. 301 marked "Uninhabited".

Electoral Rolls (the books, that is) are hard work at the best of times. On line proving similar in the absence of a name.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    It was somewhat frustrating to find a 1915 electoral roll on FindMyPast headed "PARISH OF EAST HAM - PLASHET WEST WARD (except Manor Park District) - Plashet Polling District" which only covered numbers 1-195 and 2-208 Sherrard Road, Forest Gate.

The electoral roll for Manor Park Polling District (Parish of East Ham, Manor Park Ward) is dated 1911 but does not include Sherrard Road.

Checked 1911 Census - No. 301 marked "Uninhabited".

Electoral Rolls (the books, that is) are hard work at the best of times. On line proving similar in the absence of a name.
    Also depends which year(s) you are trying to find. Remember there were no electoral rolls in 1916 and 1917, nor during WW2.

Still debating whether to give you a star for effort in having the brains to look on FMP, or deciding that you're no longer my friend 'cos you're such a smarty-pants.

Pam

I've got my Boys' Brigade badge in Electoral Roll searching - books that is. On line searching is new territory.
    FMP has the facility to search under "Polling District or Place" eg "Plashet", "Manor Park" - it's then a question of determining if the road/street etc in question is covered by that district/place.

I'm very unfamiliar with Ancestry - only just started using it as a library "freebie" under lockdown. Struggling to familiarise myself with the search process under Census/Electoral rolls.

Had a brief look at Directories on FMP and also Historical Directories, the Leicester University site (not so easy to search since the revamp some years ago).

No 301 stubbornly refusing to give up its secrets. I wish I was searching Plashett in Laugharne, Carmarthen rather than Plashet, Essex!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for the trouble taken on my enquiry. You're all so good at this stuff!!

Yes,helachau, lovely Laugharne would be a different story altogether!!

I'm very interested in what's been said so far so thanks again.

A fountain of knowledge

LIN
    You might be interested to know, if you don't already, that the property has just been sold,and there are photos online of the house. I typed in the address and up comes a web site for Allsop Estate Agent, scroll down to Lot 75.
    I emailed the Estate Agent who sold the property.I had hoped that he would have information from the Title Deeds but he knows nothing of that as the Solicitor would have that info. but he can't divulge anything further.
    In fact I spoke to him this morning and I said that I knew there is a web site for looking such details up with the Land Registry ie when properties were sold etc etc so perhaps you can find that site - I'd be interested to know for myself. Not much help if the Occupant was renting in 1917 though! Best wishes Jill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast