Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

There's at least one site which will show you the more recent dates houses were sold, and for how much, though when I say 'more recent' I'm talking mid 1990's onwards.
    Put into a search engine 'properties sold in' followed by the address, e.g. Smith Street Oxford. Though if it's a long road then putting in just the postcode will reduce the number of results. (The postcode for 301 Sherrard Road is E12 6UG, though at the time of writing it's not showing the latest sale.)

For anything to do with the Land Registry start with the official government site. (There are other sites listed before the gov.uk site, which promise almost instant results for a price.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/organi.../land-registry

Note what the gov.uk site says about deeds.
    Your search may return no results if HM Land Registry doesn’t hold a copy of the deeds.
    Done a little more digging and ended up at
    https://eservices.landregistry.gov.u...d=p_about_link
    Go to page 3 of the questions and there's a question about finding out if your ancestor owned a particular house.

Literally, while typing this reply, I've remembered something from way-back.
    I was looking at various books in the local history section of the library and though I can't remember the title of the books I think they were called Rate Books. I know they covered different years and were similar to the electoral rolls. https://www.
    findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/full-list-of-united-kingdom-records/census-land-and-surveys/rate-books

As I said in an earlier post, I think Newham Library might be your best bet for the electoral rolls for the period you want, and the same would apply for the rate books. Although I found some information, I can't remember how easy/difficult it was to find. e.g. were the streets in alpha order, were the names in alpha order.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Jill,
    That's amazing, thank you. No, I didn't know.
    What a lot of trouble you've gone to my behalf, I'm most grateful.
    You've given me another avenue to explore which I will certainly do.
    I suspect, however, as you suggest that it's a renting situation.
    Kind regards,
    Lin

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks LIN - Good luck - keep us posted, particularly if you do explore the Land Registry.

PAM Thanks so much for all the info you found re looking such info up on the Land Registry site
    - very kind of you to post that.
    Jill

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I was reminded of this thread when reading a short item in the December 2001 edition of Family History Monthly.

In an earlier edition of the magazine there'd been an article about property records, and following that a lady from the Land Registry had sent a note, part of which said:
    "The Land Registry . . . registers freehold land and leases originally granted for more than twenty-one years.
    Although over eighteen million properties are registered, for historical reasons an estimated four or five million remain unregistered. Land only has to be entered when a transaction occurs in a compulsory registration area. Inner London became such an area in 1899. In effect very few properties outside London were registered before the Second World War; the last areas were not added until 1990.
    The register, containing these details, will be only of limited use for family and local historians because it records current information about a property. Previous owners are mentioned if they were party to a deed which affects the land today. It is not possible to search against a person's name to find out what property they once owned."

Little bit about the history of Land Registration if you click on section 5.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Land_Registry

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

Are you suggesting that you can look at preceding or succeeding pages of electoral registers on fmp? If so I've tried to do that in the past and failed. You can of course do it with census pages and parish registers but it would be a very useful facility with ERs too

Tony
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

The Land Registry only provides details of owners from 1993 onwards.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Famous for offering help & advice

301 Sherrard Road gets two unhelpful mentions in newspapers. 1901 and 1928. In 1901 67-year-old John Furzey died at the property. His stepdaughter was living with him at the time.

Famous for offering help & advice

not sure I understand the opening post. You have a certificate showing someone living at 301 Sherrard Road in 1917 ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12