Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Judith Shortland, emigrated to Sweden

Good morning, British genealogists!

I am from Sweden and I have an 18th century English ancestor of whom I have limited information. I am hoping that those who are well-versed in English genealogy and English church records might be able to find her origins. I will present the little information I have about her.

Judith Shortland. Unknown birthdate; born in England.
    Married unknown date to officer Rutger Koch, born in 1704 in Stenkyrka parish, Bohuslän. From a bourgeoisie background. He lived in Uddevalla, Bohuslän, where his and Judith Shortland's first child Sara Koch is born on January 12th 1725. Three more children are born out of their relationship, all in Uddevalla: Mikael 1725, Christian 1726 and Anna Sibilla 1728. [Geneanet, "Rutger Mikaelsson Koch"]

On April 4th 1733, Rutger Koch divorces Judith Shortland due to infidelity, as mentioned in a series of letters from the same year. The letters are written in 18th century Swedish, and I have done my best to summarise them:

Judith Shortland is expected to face the court in Göteborg, but instead leaves the country without a trace. Coincidentally, Francois George Becquet, the notary involved in the issue, happens to live in Dunkerque, France. He mentions an English trader, Jean Jeanson (considering both the age of the text and the fact that it is written in Swedish by someone whose native language is French, his name might be corrupted. It could be "John Johnson", for example), who houses Judith Shortland in Dunkerque.

Becquet confronts first Jean Jeanson's maid and then both Jean Jeanson and Judith Shortland, telling them that Judith Shortland is expected at the court in Göteborg. Becquet signs his letter together with his witnesses Pierre Bruard and Pierre Charles le Febure, two local bourgeoisie.

In the last letter on the issue, it is written that Judith Shortland had left for London, then returned to Dunkerque for 4-5 days, before finally leaving for London again, without reporting herself at the admirality. Therefore the matter is dropped and Judith Shortland is never heard of again in Swedish records.

That is all the information I am able to provide on my English ancestor Judith Shortland. I estimate her birthdate to be about the same as her husband, born 1704, based on the fact that their first child was born in January 1725. I have researched the surname Shortland, and, expectedly, it seems to hail from the Southeast of England.

I also assume that she has some kind of relation to Jean Jeanson - but then again, it's possible that he simply housed Judith Shortland because they both happened to be from England and living abroad.

If it's possible to find more information about Judith Shortland, such as her parentage and birthplace, as well as her destiny after leaving for London, that would be highly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    I have moved your post to the Rest of the World Genealogy forum where it should attract more interest. It has the same title you gave it.
    Good luck
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs