Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    I wonder if this is your John in 1881 census.

John Carrington b 1815 Head Frame W Knitter
    Millicent Carrington b 1825 Wife
    Walter Carrington b 1846 Son F W Knitter
    John Charles Fletcher b 1876 Grandson
    Reg Dist Belper.

So Possibly son of Walter (who is very easy to track). Can't find any GRO record for a John Charles Fletcher for dates/ Derbyshire.
    Seems to much of a coincidence for them not to be father and son.

Hi again Pat - Yes, it looks very likely - interesting if there is some switching between surnames within the family. It'd be good to track some of this family in later records to see if any of them headed over to Manchester. I'll have a look now!

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    A John Carrington Fletcher, age 40, died in the East Kirkby pit tragedy June 1915.
    (newspaper reports)

Hi there - Many thanks for this!

I'm not sure if this John is likely to be related as it's a fair distance from Lincolnshire to Belper/Manchester, but who knows, it's not a combination of names that seems to come up that often!

Thank you for looking into it!

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    I wonder if this is your John in 1881 census.

John Carrington b 1815 Head Frame W Knitter
    Millicent Carrington b 1825 Wife
    Walter Carrington b 1846 Son F W Knitter
    John Charles Fletcher b 1876 Grandson
    Reg Dist Belper.

So Possibly son of Walter (who is very easy to track). Can't find any GRO record for a John Charles Fletcher for dates/ Derbyshire.
    Seems to much of a coincidence for them not to be father and son.
    Walter Carrington is down as unmarried. The only birth reg I could find is for a John Charles Carrington Dec 1/4 1875 reg dist Basford vol 7b page 131 but the mmn is Salmon. A Charles Carrington married a Harriet Salmon in Basford reg dist 1875. So that one is out of the equation.
    BUT the only Charles and Harriet I can find together in the 1881 census as yet are age 56 and look to have been married for years with many children. In the 1861 census their youngest child is Herman age 1 and on the GRO index the birth reg is Dec 1/4 1859 reg dist Basford vol 7b page 103 Wait for it ! mother's maiden name FLETCHER!!
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you Christina!

I've looked into this family but can't seem to make a connection to the Manchester Area. There may be one somewhere though - there don't seem to many Carrington/Fletcher combinations within families...

In other news, we think we may have found a record of my grandmother's birth - or at least a good lead. Eileen J C Fletcher was born 1923 (with the same birth month my gran grew up thinking was her actual birth month) on the Wirral (not far from Manchester). Her christian name and first initial match the names she grew up with and there's a chance the C may represent Carrington (yet to be proven). We're just struggling to track down any good leads on her parents as the birth record shows 'Robinson' as her mother.

We believe her father worked in the textile industry in Manchester (fairly senior) and her mother worked in a department store in Manchester also. We're just wondering whether (as we believe my gran was illegitimate) her mother gave birth away from Manchester (possibly in the area she grew up) to avoid any scandal.

We're making some progress, but any other ideas/suggestions are always most welcome - thank you again for all your help and apologies for not responding sooner - work has been particularly busy this week!

Best wishes

Alex

Reputation beyond repute

We're just struggling to track down any good leads on her parents as the birth record shows 'Robinson' as her mother.
    You need to get the certificate. Are you not intending to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    You need to get the certificate. Are you not intending to do so?
    Hi there

Yes, I forgot to mention that we have the certificate on order. Hopefully that will give us more information...

Cheers

Alex

Hi Alex
    Do let us know all the details on the certificate when you receive it.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi Alex
    Do let us know all the details on the certificate when you receive it.
    Christina
    Hi everyone

Hope you are well?

Just to say that we've had the birth certificate through and it's definitely my grandmother - there are too many matches. The exact birthdate, forenames and father's surname are all consistent with the information we've recently managed to obtain.

So my grandmother's parents were SYDNEY CARRINGTON FLETCHER and MAY FLETCHER (formerly ROBINSON). There's no other useful information other than the fact that she was born at her mother's house in Bebington, Wirral, Cheshire in April 1923.

We've already had a look through the available online sources (including census and birth records) and we're struggling to pin down either of her parents.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Best wishes

Alex

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    A John Carrington Fletcher, age 40, died in the East Kirkby pit tragedy June 1915.
    (newspaper reports)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexjm2000 View Post
    Hi there - Many thanks for this!

I'm not sure if this John is likely to be related as it's a fair distance from Lincolnshire to Belper/Manchester, but who knows, it's not a combination of names that seems to come up that often!

Thank you for looking into it!
    I'm fairly familiar with the countryside around East Kirkby Lincolnshire, and as this is the first I'd heard of any coal mining in the area thought I'd check it out.
    The East Kirkby referred to here is the one in Nottinghamshire, a hamlet in the village of Kirkby in Ashfield.
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NT...ld#Description
    This large village and parish is on the border of Derbyshire, 133 miles north of the city of London and 10 miles north-west of Nottingham city. The parish covers about 5,800 acres and includes the hamlets of Annesley Woodhouse, East Kirkby, Kirkby Woodhouse and Nuncar Gate.
    Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi and thanks for getting back to us. Who was the informant on the birth certificate?
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast