Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Carrington-Fletcher (Manchester)

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone might be able to help with a query.

We are trying to find a record of anyone in the Manchester area with the surname CARRINGTON-FLETCHER (apparently successful in the textiles trade). We have just been told that a man with this surname was the birth father of my Grandmother who was adopted in the Manchester area in 1923.

We have searched all of the various records on Ancestry.com and carried out various Google searches, but with no luck.

We'd be extremely grateful to anyone who may be able to help.

Thank you in advance!

Alex

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Alex.
    There is a Carrington Textiles established c1894 and still going strong today.
    https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/media/...ms-insight.pdf

This is Carrington Textiles website https://www.carrington.co.uk/en/contact/contact-form/

May be worth contacting them to suss out their previous owners/staff?

I have been fossicking around for any Carrington-Fletcher surname but no luck. However I did find reference to the famous Englsih painter Leonora Carrington daughter of Harold Carrington and his Irish wife Maurie.
    I can't see a birth reg for Leonora on FreeBMD in 1917 or any other year however I did find her father and mother on the 1911 census. Whether these people are any connection to your Carringtn-Fletcher is yet to be proved. As an aside i did see a snippet referring to Carrington textiles and Fletcher St but I can't find it now. Bah!

1911 census
    Piece 25242
    5 Farington Lodge Near Preston
    Arthur Walter Carrington 53 Widow. Cotton Manufacturer & Merchant born Nelson, Lancashire He died in Dec 1/4 1911
    Francis Bloom 53 Servant Norfolk
    Mary Elizabeth Hawkrigg 29 Servant
    Elizabeth Counsell 42 Servant
    Alice McGill 22 Servant
    Harold Wylde Carrington 30 son Cotton Manufacturer & Merchant, Nelson
    Marie Humphries Carrington 24 dau-in-law Clonasley, King, Ireland

Christina

Just found Leonora's birth reg CARRINGTON, MARY LEONORA mother's maiden name MOORHEAD
    GRO Reference - 1917 June Quarter in CHORLEY Vol 8E Page 549
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I forgot to say that adoption did not become a legal process until January 1927 so you grandmother's adoption would have been an informal arrangement possibly by families known to each other or linked by a third person.
    Here is a review of Jenny Keatings book A Child for Keeps: the History of Adoption in England, 1918-45 which is interesting reading and has some points to make about adoption prior to 1927.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Valued member of Brit-Gen

There is a John Carrington Fletcher b Sept 1/4 1875 Reg Belper, Derbyshire. Can't track any more info at the mo.

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    There is a John Carrington Fletcher b Sept 1/4 1875 Reg Belper, Derbyshire. Can't track any more info at the mo.
    This birth reg on the GRO index doesn't have a mother's maiden name so illegitimate? This may be why I can't see anything more for him in the censuses as yet, his mother may have married and John took his stepfather's name?
    Christina

There is an Elsie Carrington Fletcher in Australia and an Eldridge Carrington Fletcher born 1900 in Oregan.

The family I found in 1911 appear to have had only the one son Harold Wylde Carrington age 30 in 1911 and he is still in the area in later years. He actually died in Ireland which is where his wife was from.
    William Burroughs

There is a John Carrington Jordon on the 1901 census age 24 Widower Blacksmiths Striker born Ickleston Derbyshire. No children. His parents Robert Jordan and Catherine who married in 1870. But I can't find the birth of a John Carrington Jordan John C Jordan or John Jordan on the GRO index mmn Patchitt/Patchett. However this John Carrington Jordan has the wrong occupation and in 1901 and 1911 is in Sheffield Yorkshire and in 1881 Nottinghamshire, 1891 Lincolnshire. So I think this one can be discounted.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Valued member of Brit-Gen

I wonder if this is your John in 1881 census.

John Carrington b 1815 Head Frame W Knitter
    Millicent Carrington b 1825 Wife
    Walter Carrington b 1846 Son F W Knitter
    John Charles Fletcher b 1876 Grandson
    Reg Dist Belper.

So Possibly son of Walter (who is very easy to track). Can't find any GRO record for a John Charles Fletcher for dates/ Derbyshire.
    Seems to much of a coincidence for them not to be father and son.

A John Carrington Fletcher, age 40, died in the East Kirkby pit tragedy June 1915.
    (newspaper reports)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Hi Christina

Thanks very much for looking into this for us. It's greatly appreciated.

We'd come across Carrington Textiles but we're struggling to find any link to a Carrington-Fletcher. I think (as your later posts suggest) that we probably need to concentrate on families where there are histories of Carringtons and Fletchers in the area and follow up on those as the double barrel surname doesn't really appear in the records for someone who would have fathered a child in 1923.

We'll continue to root around and see what we can turn up. If you have any other thoughts, please do let me know!

Thanks again

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    Thanks Pat - This could be of interest if we can find any other family (even if they don't use the double barrel name) I suppose it could have been something that was used in the family informally or skipped around from generation to generation?

Do let me know if you have any other thoughts and thanks again!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast