Thread: Divorce records

Default Divorce records

I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction, I'm trying to find a record of my grandparents divorce. Mr Albert Mitchell and yvonne mitchell they were married in 1939 in hendon middlesex, they split up in about 1953 and lived in kent. I don't know where I should look as not sure of the exact area. Would appreciate some advice. Thank you

Brick wall demolition expert!

Unfortunately I don't think that you will find anything. Below is a link to the guide published by the National Archives:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...uides/divorce/

Starting to feel at home

You can get a copy of the decree, but it can be expensive to search if you aren't sure where/when it was issued. Unlike the pre-1937 cases it will only confirm hat a divorce was granted, there will be no detail of why.

https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order

Did either marry again ? - A later marriage certificate would confirm if a divorce had taken place (or should have) and when by.

Thank you for that, they both did marry again, i have the marriage date of my nan but not my grandad, would her marriage certificate state the date she was divorced? Many thanks again ��

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB@1964 View Post
    Thank you for that, they both did marry again, i have the marriage date of my nan but not my grandad, would her marriage certificate state the date she was divorced? Many thanks again ��
    If anyone will know for definite it will be Antony
    I have one divorced person marrying into my family and for the groom it says 'Formerly the husband of Winifred Smith, formerly Brown, spinster, from whom he obtained a divorce.' No date for the divorce.

As you know when your gran married again you have an 'end' date for searching, so you could try the British Newspaper Archive.
    https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
    You have to register to use the site, but searching is free.
    I don't know how many Kent newspapers for the 1950s they have online, nor whether the divorce would have been reported. Might not have been a full-blown report of the court proceedings, but there might just be a brief 'Fred Bloggs was granted a divorce on x grounds'.
    Mitchell's a fairly common name so in the keywords box put 'divorce' to reduce the number of results.
    If nothing shows up now, then check back in a few months because new pages are being added every week.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB@1964 View Post
    No - but it will say "previous marriage dissolved" if she was divorced.