Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Two Weddings, Same People, Different Surname

Hi,

I'm researching Helen Mary Fuller - married James Alexander Mackay (1872-1948) on 13 March 1896 in Leith, Edinburgh.

I've found a birth certificate for a Helen Mary Mayfuller b.17 January 1875, Glasgow.
    Birth certificate shows parents as William Henry Mayfuller and Agnes Mayfuller nee Ronald. Parent's wedding date is listed as 7 September 1874.

The marriage certificate dated 7.9.1874 is for W H Mayfuller (age 23) and Agnes Ronald (age 22). Their parents are listed as Vincent Mayfuller and Drusella Hagus [~handwriting difficult to read] & Henry Ronald and Mary Ronald nee Shanks.

However, there is another marriage certificate dated 15 February 1874. This marriage certificate is for William Fuller (age 20) and Agnes Ronald (age 21).
    Parent's are listed as Vincent Fuller and Mary Fuller nee Aimeo & Henry Ronald and Mary Ronald nee Shanks.

The people mentioned in the marriage certificates are identical other than:
    - Mayfuller v Fuller
    - William's age
    - William's mother

Are these the same people or a huge coincidence with 3/4 grandparents with the same name?

If these are the same people why are they Mayfuller in one, and Fuller in the other? Why is William's mother different? From some brief desktop research on Vincent, it looks like he was born 'Fuller'. I can't find any 'Mayfuller' births in the 19th century other than Helen.

Helen's death certificate (d.4.4.1953) lists her parents as William and Agnes Mayfuller. However I can't find any deaths in Scotland or England with the surname Mayfuller.

William H Fuller appears in the 1881 and 1891 census with wife Agnes. Helen (Mary) is with grandparents Henry & Mary in 1881 census and with her mother and father in 1891.

I've dropped all the files here if anyone wants to take a look: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...A2?usp=sharing

Seems very strange to me! Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
    Ross

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Ross, and welcome to British-Genealogy.

My inclination is that they're two different couples.

Details from Feb marriage:
    William, aged 20, in the army, Father Vincent, a labourer.
    Agnes, 21. Can't read her father's occupation.

September marriage
    William, 23, engineer. Father Vincent, also an engineer.
    Agnes, 22. Her father, a labourer.

Have you tried to find two Williams and two Agnes in the 1861 and 1871 censuses, and birth/baptism records for them? Have you also searched for marriages for the parents?

Sorry - more questions than answers.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

However, there is another marriage certificate dated 15 February 1874. This marriage certificate is for William Fuller (age 20) and Agnes Ronald (age 21).
    Parent's are listed as Vincent Fuller and Mary Fuller nee Aimeo & Henry Ronald and Mary Ronald nee Shanks.
    Marriage on FreeBMD
    Vincent Fuller and Mary Aimes Dec 1/4 1848 registration district Elham Kent vol 5 page 274
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

On the 1851 census there is a Vincent Fuller with a wife Derenda! and children Vincent Hanes Fuller 3 and Drusilla Fuller 11 months. Her birth registration on the GRO index gives her mother's maiden name as Haines.
    In 1861 Vincent is a widower 38, labourer with son Vincent 13 and son William 7. Daughter Drusilla's death Dec 1/4 1851 Elham age 1.
    Boys and father still together in 1871 but in 1881 William Henry age 27 born England is in Scotland with his wife Agnes 27, children Christina 4, Henry V age 2 and David R 3 months.

Can't find Derenda/ Mary's death yet but looks like her surname got mangled with variations Aimes/Hanes/Haines.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Marriage on FreeBMD
    Vincent Fuller and Mary Aimes Dec 1/4 1848 registration district Elham Kent vol 5 page 274
    Christina
    Firstly. ten out of ten for finding a marriage for Vincent, and then the census stuff. But . . .

I can't see that bride's name on FreeBMD for that quarter. Nor, according to my computer, for any quarter, anywhere in England and Wales, to anyone between 1838 and 1858,

FMP have a Kent Marriages and Banns dataset with a marriage between Vincent Fuller and Dorenda Haines, 18 October 1848 in Folkestone. PR image available, and one of the witnesses is May Fuller. FreeBMD has a postem besides Dorenda's name which gives an alternative of Davinda.
    Like you, can't see a death for her (in Elham registration district) on FreeBMD 1851-1861.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Firstly. ten out of ten for finding a marriage for Vincent, and then the census stuff. But . . .

I can't see that bride's name on FreeBMD for that quarter. Nor, according to my computer, for any quarter, anywhere in England and Wales, to anyone between 1838 and 1858,
    Pam
    You are not the only one who is confused Pam. I can't work out how I came up with the name Mary Aimes as the bride as quite clearly it is Dorenda Haines. Thank goodness you double checked my stuff whilst I was away from the search.
    Chris
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for your help both. I'll dig into it further and report back!