Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default service numbers ww1

hi i,am researching my grandads ww1 medals the 1914-15 star has a dfferant service number from his other two later medals, but i see he changed regiments from fife and forfar yeomanry to the royal highlanders and also a sell in the black watch, is there any way to search his service hitory and which numbers do i use ??
    many thanks john

It was common for soldiers to change regiments during WW1, depending on where they were needed. In the early years, their numbers changed with the regiment, later in the War they were all renumbered. It would be easier to help you with more information, such as his name and numbers.
    2/3 of WW1 service seconds were destroyed by fire in WW2. There are a few possible sources of information - was he wounded, did he survive? Where did you find the info about his regiment changes?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

hi lesley
    his service numbers are on his medals which i just recieved today from my mum ,she thou
    ght they were lost ??!! iknew from photos ww1 post cards etc that he was in the fife and forfar yeomanry/ then camel corps and black watch ,but now his last medal says royal highlanders .
    service number 1563 and s-40904 .yes he survived right thro 14-18 thanks

The Black Watch sometimes come under “Royal Highlanders”.

What was his name, please? It helps to know who we are looking for!

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

Which medals have which numbers, and what name and regiment are on them, as well as the name.
    Finding it hard to identify him in NA UK or Ancestry as some things don't seem to add up?

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Catalina, we really need his name because, as I said in message 2, during WW1 soldiers could change regiments, and their numbers changed with them. Ancestry's medal list shows 90 men with the number 1563!

Reputation beyond repute

This may not be a very helpful reply as you haven't provided his name.

However, I think his name was Thomas Millar

Confusingly his name is listed twice in the medal rolls, once as Thomas P Millar 1563 Fife & Forfar Yeomanry and again as Thomas Millar S/40904 8th Royal Highlanders. The way it's shown it looks like two different men but presumably it isn't if you have all the medals.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Service number change

Hello there.

I am currently looking for information on my paternal grandfather who served in WW1.

I have found his record, showing that he served as a Private with the 4th Middlesex Regiment, however, it shows two very different service numbers against his name: L/14437 and 6188932.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

As far as I can see, he never changed regiments, as is mentioned above as a possible reason for service numbers to change.

Thanks
    Mark

In the days before and up to the middle of WW1, each regiment had its own numbering system, and soldiers changed number if they changed regiment. See the earlier posts on this thread for discussion about why. During WW1 they decided to standardize the numbering, and what you have there is both your grandfather’s old- and new- style numbers. You may need them both - depending on when a document was written, one or he other may be used.
    Was his name Cartwright or Durkin?

PS Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Many thanks for such a prompt response, Lesley!
    What you say makes sense, so that clears up that little conundrum for me.

No, his surname was Ashby.