Question John Alcock - Cheadle, Staffordshire

Hi,

I am looking into John Alcock, born 1812 - 29th December 1876 in Cheadle, Staffordshire.

He is linked from my Great Nan, Ethel Victoria Randles Nee Alcock, born 8th February 1901, daughter of John Arthur Alcock, Born January 1869 in Shrewsbury, Shropshire. and Alice Morris.
    John Arthur Alcock is the son of John Arthur Alcock, b 20th April 1845 in Shrewsbury and Sarah Hartshorne.
    John Arthur Alcock Sr is the son of John Alcock and Douglas Maria Mckain. From the there the mother's line is fairly easy to follow to Guernsey (the McKain / Mesquesne family and from there through to France in early 16th century) and to Scotland (Dunsmore. Dunsmuir and Donald.)

At this point, I am struggling to determine where John Alcock comes from. I suspect his Father is named Thomas, however, when I look at the local registers for Cheadle, I find about 3 John Alcocks, all with different parents at around the same time, so can't be certain.

I have retraced my steps from Ethel Victoria and am pretty certain the line up to John and Douglas Maria is correct. But from there, I am struggling. Any help at this point would be a bonus.

Thanks,

Dan

Famous for offering help & advice

Do you have John & Douglas Maria’s marraige cert? This should have fathers name if known for John.

The marriage is on free reg in Cheadle. No father's name and groom stated as a natural born son. So assume illegitimate.
    There is also a baptism 1812 of a John Alcock,mother Elizabeth. No father given so probably illegitimate, and a likely candidate for your John.

Hi Grisel,
    Thanks for the advice, i have ordered the marriage certificate for records. If John was illegitimate, is it possible he could have taken his mother's surname rather than fathers?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanWaters View Post
    Hi Grisel,
    Thanks for the advice, i have ordered the marriage certificate for records. If John was illegitimate, is it possible he could have taken his mother's surname rather than fathers?

Dan
    Hi Dan - and welcome to the forum.
    Yes he would most likely take his mother's name.
    If you look on free reg web site you can view the parish records.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Hi Dan - and welcome to the forum.
    Yes he would most likely take his mother's name.
    If you look on free reg web site you can view the parish records.
    Thank you for your help, I would have been chasing around for ages, not realising there was no father to find.

Dan