Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Searching for war records

HI
    I am trying to find out if it is possible to locate enlistment records for a relative.
    Edward Davies enlisted in the Somerset Light Infantry Serjeant Private 12907 .
    I believe he enlisted in 1898 he transferred to the royal engineers in the 1914 and I have records for him then but would like to find out more about his time in the Somerset light infantry.
    Not sure where to start any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Caroline

Reputation beyond repute

Have a read of the National Archives research guides in particular
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...rs-up-to-1913/
    and
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...rst-world-war/

Then have a look at Findmypast. I think I can see a possible candidate among the burnt records but you haven't provided enough information to be certain.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

HI
    I have look into the guides but seems to go going around in circles. I have tried findmypast but think I must be doing something wrong as nothing comes up.
    I have quite a lot of information about his time in the Royal Engineers. service number 79995 he was awarded the DCM for conspicuous gallantry in 1916 and discharged in 1917 due to illness. I was hoping to obtain some information about his enlistment records to the Light Somerset Infantry. I am intrigued why he would join them when he lived in Wales.
    Thank you

Reputation beyond repute

On Findmypast, select "Britain" and "Military..." (don't select any of the sub-sections).

Then enter name Edward Davies and regiment Somerset Light Infantry. Don't enter anything else. You should get 19 results, many of which you can discount immediately. Look through them carefully and see if your man's there.

Reputation beyond repute

PS I tried Ancestry and had more luck there. It might be worth you trying there.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

HI Peter
    Thank you,I have found him, its down as 12904 not 12907 but differently the right person as the other information on the records is correct.
    Thank you so much for your help