Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Alfred Jones and Julia Jones

Forgive me if I am missing the obvious, I am relatively new to this type of research. My Nan was 'adopted' as a child,no official paperwork was done, all I have of her real parent's are their names. I don't know where, or when they were born. My Nan was Julia Jones born 28.10.1921. Her father was Alfred Jones and mother Julia Jones, late Looney, formerly Reilly. Alfred's occupation is down as Lance Corporal Mt Foot Police. My Nan was born in Folkestone.

It seems a lot to go on, but I can find only one military entry for an Alfred Jones that may fit service no P/10573. I've no way of knowing if that Alfred is the right one.

I have put many permutations in the bmd pages, for births and marriages,but without success.

If anyone has any tips or pointers I would be happy to hear them. Many thanks.

Famous for offering help & advice

so is this the Julia Reilly who married Edward Looney in Cork in November 1910 ?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    so is this the Julia Reilly who married Edward Looney in Cork in November 1910 ?
    We don't know. That's what we're waiting for you to find out, wimsey.

Though I have to say, it sounds very promising.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

well I'm not finding a Julia Looney / Alfred Jones marriage

not sure if you know this already

Julia Reilly of Blackrock, Cork, daughter of Thomas Reilly, labourer
    Edward Looney, soldier, of Brook Lodge,?, son of Daniel Looney, labourer, deceased
    3 November 1910, at Brook Lodge,?,?, Cork

one witness is Maggie Reilly

possibly
    Edward Looney 1868-1914
    or
    EDMOND Looney 1883-1917

well I'm not finding a Julia Looney / Alfred Jones marriage
    No, nor me. Though you and I both know there are many cases of people not marrying but having children. (Years ago, right through to the present day.)

Amandas - the marriage certificate is available for free (once you get to the record, click image) at https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ and start by clicking civil records at the top of the page.

The 1911 Irish census is slightly more helpful as regards ages. Edward is 29, a retired pensioner (army), born Cork city. Julia is 20, and born County Cork. Click household return form A.
    https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...klodge/407093/

Highly likely to be Julia in 1901.
    https://www.census.nationalarchives.i..._West/1100261/

Edward and Julia had two children. Bridget in 1912, and Thomas in 1916. Again, images available once you go far enough through the civil records.

Edward Looney died in 1917. Search civil records for Edmond Looney. Again, once you have the record, click image.

Pam

Brick wall demolition expert!

In the UK there was no statutory framework for adoption until the late 1920s before that they were all handled either unofficially or privately often with no paperwork and there were no rules about names etc.

My grandfather was orphaned in 1906 when he was about 7 and he was brought up by his surviving grandmpther together with his older siblings. However his two younger siblings where adopted / fostered by two other unrelated families. His sister's surname was changed but his brother's wasn't. They all stayed in contact, so when his sister married she named her biological father on her marriage certificate.

Do you know when she was adopted? If you have a rough idea that could a time frame to search for death certificates.

Other than that you might have to wait 18 months or so until the 1921 census is released because that could narrow the field down a long way.

on Ancestry there's a "WW1 Pension & Ledger Card" which has

Julia Jones born 27 December 1891, residence Ashford Kent, widow of
    Alfred Jones
    with daughter
    Lilian Mary Jones, born 1915

however
    I think this may be Alfred Jones, married to Julia CRUX (1914 - East Ashford)

Wow, I'm so impressed that so many of you have found so much information, and so quickly! I've been scratching my head for ages. Than you all so very much for helping me out of a hole, and giving me something(s), to look into. Many many thanks

on Ancestry there's a "WW1 Pension & Ledger Card" which has

Julia Jones born 27 December 1891, residence Ashford Kent, widow of
    Alfred Jones
    with daughter
    Lilian Mary Jones, born 1915

however
    I think this may be Alfred Jones, married to Julia CRUX (1914 - East Ashford)
    I'm a hundred and ten per cent certain that it's the Alfred married to Julia Crux.

Amandas - a random though - whose name is in the column regarding the name of the person who registered the birth? And what addresses are given for either the place of birth and/or the address of the person who registered the birth? (Just thinking we might be able to get a clue from the electoral rolls for that address.)

Pam

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast