Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Julia Jones registered the birth, and the address is shown as 1 Warren Rd, Folkestone, Kent.

Amanda.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    In the UK there was no statutory framework for adoption until the late 1920s before that they were all handled either unofficially or privately often with no paperwork and there were no rules about names etc.

My grandfather was orphaned in 1906 when he was about 7 and he was brought up by his surviving grandmpther together with his older siblings. However his two younger siblings where adopted / fostered by two other unrelated families. His sister's surname was changed but his brother's wasn't. They all stayed in contact, so when his sister married she named her biological father on her marriage certificate.

Do you know when she was adopted? If you have a rough idea that could a time frame to search for death certificates.

Other than that you might have to wait 18 months or so until the 1921 census is released because that could narrow the field down a long way.
    No, I don't know any dates, there were five of them, four girls and a boy ..my Nan, Doris, Mona, Betty and Roland. Only Betty and Roland were blood siblings. They all grew up together, and considered themselves siblings, and were fortunate to have all ended up in a loving home.

I feel sad my Nan's real Mum and Dad missed out on her, she was full of fun, and sparkle.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Amandas View Post
    Julia Jones registered the birth, and the address is shown as 1 Warren Rd, Folkestone, Kent.
    Amanda.
    After quite a bit of guessing page numbers I managed to track down the electoral rolls for Warren Road, Folkestone for 1921 and 1922, but I don't think they're going to be a lot of help.

Electoral roll for Autumn 1921, published 15 October 1921.

1 Warren Road, East Ward, Folkestone
    Ada Petts,
    Charles William Petts

In Spring 1922, William Jesse Petts had been added, and in Autumn 1922 another son, Thomas Edward, was also listed.
    Family were living at 25 Warren Road in the 1911 census. Census reference RG14/4625 SN45
    Charles William Petts and Adah (sic) Jemima Copping were married in 1898, Pancras registration district. Marriage on Ancestry, London marriages dataset.

At 1a Warren Road, were George Jesse Keeler, and his daughter Winnifred in the electoral rolls for 1921/1922. Though as she would have been only 23 at the time I'm not sure why she was listed and not George's wife, Lavinia.
    George and family were living at 1a Warren Road in 1911. Census reference RG14/4625 SN59
    George Jesse Keeler married Lavinia Marie ELLEN (surname) 1897 Elham registration district.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    After quite a bit of guessing page numbers I managed to track down the electoral rolls for Warren Road, Folkestone for 1921 and 1922, but I don't think they're going to be a lot of help.

Electoral roll for Autumn 1921, published 15 October 1921.

1 Warren Road, East Ward, Folkestone
    Ada Petts,
    Charles William Petts

In Spring 1922, William Jesse Petts had been added, and in Autumn 1922 another son, Thomas Edward, was also listed.
    Family were living at 25 Warren Road in the 1911 census. Census reference RG14/4625 SN45
    Charles William Petts and Adah (sic) Jemima Copping were married in 1898, Pancras registration district. Marriage on Ancestry, London marriages dataset.

At 1a Warren Road, were George Jesse Keeler, and his daughter Winnifred in the electoral rolls for 1921/1922. Though as she would have been only 23 at the time I'm not sure why she was listed and not George's wife, Lavinia.
    George and family were living at 1a Warren Road in 1911. Census reference RG14/4625 SN59
    George Jesse Keeler married Lavinia Marie ELLEN (surname) 1897 Elham registration district.

Pam
    As Alfred was in the Military Foot Police, he may have been stationed at Thorncliffe army camp near Folkestone.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    on Ancestry there's a "WW1 Pension & Ledger Card" which has

Julia Jones born 27 December 1891, residence Ashford Kent, widow of
    Alfred Jones
    with daughter
    Lilian Mary Jones, born 1915

however
    I think this may be Alfred Jones, married to Julia CRUX (1914 - East Ashford)
    If he is the same Alfred Jones mentioned in the National Archives dying of TB then he was also in the Military Foot Police.. cross referencing with FMP index he died in 1923. Sorry I can't check actual records.
    Could he have been having a fling with a second Julia?....

TNA also have a medal card from ww1 for an Alfred George Jones in the Military Foot Police.

Illegitimacy may well have been the reason my Nan was given up, I don't know how common it would have been for the father of the child to 'own' it by putting his name on the birth certificate though, and giving a child the family name. And, I suppose no marriage certificate was required to register a birth, as marriage was probably assumed? Thanks all for your various search results.

Quote Originally Posted by Amandas View Post
    Illegitimacy may well have been the reason my Nan was given up, I don't know how common it would have been for the father of the child to 'own' it by putting his name on the birth certificate though, and giving a child the family name. And, I suppose no marriage certificate was required to register a birth, as marriage was probably assumed? Thanks all for your various search results.
    Ah, when I extended myyear of death by a couple of years I found 2 records on the British Army widows' pension forms in FMP. The first in 1918 for Alfred Jones Buffs East Kent Regiment, spouse Julia! - Julia nee Crux do you think?

The 2nd, the one I found before for the Alfred in the Military Foot Police died 1923 of TB. Service noP7325. So he could well be your Alfred.I don't subscribe to FMP so have no idea if this record will show anything useful for you. But worth checking I think.

Yes for sure. I am not a subscriber to FMP but I think I know someone who might be. Perhaps my Grandmother was given up then because she couldn't be looked after.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Ah, when I extended myyear of death by a couple of years I found 2 records on the British Army widows' pension forms in FMP. The first in 1918 for Alfred Jones Buffs East Kent Regiment, spouse Julia! - Julia nee Crux do you think?

The 2nd, the one I found before for the Alfred in the Military Foot Police died 1923 of TB. Service noP7325. So he could well be your Alfred.I don't subscribe to FMP so have no idea if this record will show anything useful for you. But worth checking I think.
    Good searching there, grisel, but sadly to no success in helping Amanda.

Re the Alfred who died in 1918, wife Julia.
    Married 3 August 1914, child Lilian Mary born 3 July 1915. Alfred died 8 JUly 1918, Military Hospital Dover. Widow's address is in Ashford, Kent. Wife's date of birth in late December 1891 ties in with birth registration for Julia Crux, March quarter 1892, East Ashford registration district.

Re the Alfred who died in 1923.
    Seems he might have only served at home because 'service overseas' has a line drawn through it. Attested 11 Dec 1915, first posted 1 August 1916.
    Working my way down the page - date of marriage 7 August 1905; date of death 17 February 1923; place of death Ash Street, Bootle; age at death 38.
    There's a death registration in West Derby registration district March Quarter 1923 which fits. (West Derby confusingly being part of Liverpool.)
    Next of kin is unhelpfully given as 'widow'.
    Ancestry have PR image for marriage of Alfred Jones and Edith Eleanor Hughes 9 August 1905 at St Matthew's, Bootle.
    Alfred was 21, bachelor, clerk, father Thomas, ship's carpenter (deceased).

So, this second Arthur might have been having an affair, but then the big query is how did Julia late Looney formerly Reilly get from Ireland to Kent?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks for checking Pam.I'd also looked at the Alfred George already mentioned. Was a married police constable on Birkenhead on 1911 and I think still there with his wife in 1939 so a bit unlikely too.
    I did wonder what happened to Julia Looney's older children but I think they sadly both died. Bridget in 1915 and Thomas on 1917.Poor lass. She perhaps met Alfred in Cork if he was stationed there and moved with him to Kent.Or perhaps she just wanted to get away from all the sadness and met him in Kent.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast