Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Hi Amanda,

I see from online trees that Julia Jones/Unwin changed her given names to Dora May, have you any idea when and why?

It seems an odd thing to do, especially as her mother's name was also Julia, unless she had reason to be upset with her mum and wanted to erase the memory? I mention it as I wonder if her mum was still alive when the Unwins' started to care for Julia.
    Alma

I think that would have happened in childhood, and I am not sure why. If my Nan was a baby,she would not have responded to her name, so it'd be easy enough to change. Perhaps the Unwins simply disliked the name. I had my Nan until I was 53,a long time, and never ever heard her called by the name of Julia, not even by her 'sisters' or 'brother'.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    I do feel for your Nan's mum and hope you eventually track her down. As Megan already suggested your best bet may the 1921 census when it is released. If you do find Julia or Alfred there when the time comes or have a breakthrough from elsewhere, please do let us know.
    I found out yesterday that Julia Jones was working as a servant at the Salisbury Hotel in June 1921 (Folkestone) she is shown as having one child, not my Nan,she would have been expecting her,my Nan was born in October. The elder child was Brigid, who she kept.This child was born in Cork in 1919.

There are several Alfred Jones listed in Folkestone in the 1921 census, as yet, am not sure any of them are 'my' Alfred.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234