Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ernest Albert SANDERSON & parents, Yorkshire

Hi everyone

I'm struggling to find anything concrete about the birth of my grandfather, Ernest Albert Sanderson and therefore his mother's maiden name/parents.

He was born 17th August 1913 and died in January 1972, which has been verified by his children and his gravestone.

In census records that I have found, his name is recorded as Albert Sanderson and then Ernest Sanderson, later. I've verified it's him as he's living with my grandmother, Esther Sanderson, whom he married in 1947. It's around this time that they moved to London from Yorkshire.

It's believed he was born in Bradford, Yorkshire and perhaps grew up in Blackpool. It's rumoured that his parents died in a train crash when he was young and he was raised by his grandparents. He had older siblings, but I don't know how many or their names.

He served in WW2 as a Colour Sgt, but I have no idea what unit/regiment. I can only imagine it would have been from around the Yorkshire area, given the fact they moved to London after the war. He had a scar on his throat/chest, which he told his children was from an injury received as a prisoner of war in Japan.

There is a belief that his parents were wealthy and owned some property in Yorkshire, which his older brothers (whom we believe he didn't get on with) inherited. Years later, Ernest was told of his right to inheritance, however he did not accept it.

Frustratingly, I feel like I know a lot of information that you'd usually be searching to find, such as birth/death dates, however, it's still leading me to a dead end. I'm solely going by his DOB being correct when it comes to verifying if I've found the right Ernest / Albert Sanderson, which is why I've already ruled out a few that I've come across (mother's maiden name: Vaines, Moss and Harrison.)

Anyone that can help or point me in the right direction would be great!

Hi Aimeemarie and welcome to British Genealogy.

I'm assumimg after reading through your post that you don't have Ernest's marriage certificate? If I'm correct the marriage certificate is a must, it will name his father and his father's occupation which will help to identify Ernest and possibly lead to Ernest's birth registration.
    Alma

Super Moderator

Can you let us know which census records you have looked at? As you say Ernest/Albert was born in 1913. The last census records available to view are 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hi Aimeemarie and welcome to British Genealogy.

I'm assumimg after reading through your post that you don't have Ernest's marriage certificate? If I'm correct the marriage certificate is a must, it will name his father and his father's occupation which will help to identify Ernest and possibly lead to Ernest's birth registration.
    Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't have it myself, but the family member who does, says it unfortunately states that his father is deceased and gives no other details. That's a good point though, I'll see if there's anything else I can find related to their marriage.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Can you let us know which census records you have looked at? As you say Ernest/Albert was born in 1913. The last census records available to view are 1911.
    Ooh, that's my mistake, sorry! I meant the electoral roll/register.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Some other details needed from the marriage certificate. The ages of both Ernest and Esther, and whether Ernest was a bachelor, widower, or divorced. I'm assuming that Esther was a spinster.

ADDED: Also, what was Ernest's occupation on the marriage certificate?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeMarie View Post
    I'm solely going by his DOB being correct when it comes to verifying if I've found the right Ernest / Albert Sanderson, which is why I've already ruled out a few that I've come across (mother's maiden name: Vaines, Moss and Harrison.)
    How have you ruled these out - by obtaining birth certificates, or by some other means?

Whilst it may be true, I'm sceptical about the story of his parents dying in a train crash, and also the inheritance story.

You mention that 'they moved to London from Yorkshire' and imply that they were living together (in Yorkshire?) before their marriage in 1947 - if so, where in Yorkshire?

Also, if you don't know their names, how do you know for sure that he had older siblings?

Could he be trying to cover up that he was actually illegitimate? As you mentioned Blackpool area, this could be a possibility, although its only one of several (and assumes his stated YoB was incorrect)

SANDERSON, ALBERT (no mother's maiden name, implying illegitimacy)
    GRO Reference: 1912 S Quarter in FYLDE Volume 08E Page 1089

Super Moderator

The registration in Fylde shown mother's maiden name as Sanderson on FreeBMD

Super Moderator

I can't find anyone on the 1939 register with that date of birth with the name Ernest/Albert Sanderson. Where did you find him?

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    The registration in Fylde shown mother's maiden name as Sanderson on FreeBMD
    This is because the GRO created a new index from the records held by them, and elected to present the mmn information differently. The GRO takes the view that an unmarried mother does not have a maiden name and so leave it blank, unlike the quarterly returns transcribed by FreeBMD which show an unmarried woman's surname in the maiden name field.

Whilst the FreeBMD entry leaves open the possibility that a Sanderson had married a Sanderson, the GRO entry confirms this is not the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast