Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default finding the correct Mum

Hello
    Once again I'm stuck again on this side of the family tree! I have a Albert Palmer born 1 April 1887 Lambeth to a Alice Palmer 1D 376 BIRTH POOR LAW UNION so not sure if she was unmarried I have ordered the Birth Cert... he married a Ellen Eleanor Dundon / Daintree (married before) sept 6 1919 Battersea. 1939 register found him in Dagenham he died 22 june 1948 Romford. all this we know is correct My brickwall is that I cannot find Alice Palmer I have followed 2 different lines there is even a Albert E Palmer with the same birth year and from the lambeth area with a Alice L Palmer but it seems this Albert died in 1961
    I would be grateful for any advice you can give me
    Kind regards
    Lj

Brick wall demolition expert!

The birth registration reference that you have given indicates that there is no maiden name for the mother, so his birth was illegitimate.

Whether or not she was unmarried you will not know from that. My great grandfather was born illegitimately in 1845, but his mother was a widow. His birth certificate lists her name (in this case her married name) and nothing else.

If you haven't got it you should get his marriage certificate because that MIGHT list a father. Just because he's not on his birth certificate does not mean that (a) he does not know or (b) that he's not acknowledging someone as his father.

Have you got Albert and Ellen in the 1939 Register at 90 Auriel Avenue, Dagenham?

Famous for offering help & advice

There is an image of the marraige cert on Ancestry. Names his father as Albert Palmer,deceased,gardener.
    Could be made up of course.

1891 census

Albert Littleford with a correction of LITTLEFIELD 1887
    Father: Charles Littleford
    Mother: Alice Littleford
    Charles Littleford 1890

Checked the births on GRO - MMN Palmer.

Charles LITTLEFIELD married Alice Annie Palmer
    Lambeth.

Image of cert on line but mistranscribed as PAKEMAN.

There are further children on 1901 census where Charles Littlefield is a widower.
    Alice Littlefield died 1898 Dec Wandsworth.

The links for Albert & Alice Annie Littlefield come up as Palmer.I think this needs further research but looks as though they could be your people.

Added:
    October 21st 1894
    there are 3 baptisms for Albert,Charles & Alice Elizabeth Littlefield.
    Alberts DOB given as April 1st 1887.

Found on Ancestry :London, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1917

Yes sorry found that and the 1939 as you say that could have been made up

Will look that up Brillant
    Thank you so much

Hi Ive checked out the information you found all looks good but my only ? is why did Albert use his mums maiden name Palmer when he got married? I know if this is the correct one when Alice registered his birth he was down as Albert Palmer but was baptisted Albert Littlefield

Hi Just received the birth Certificate for Albert Palmer born 1 april 1877 no father mentioned born in a workhouse Brook Street, Lambeth mother Alice Palmer of 383 Norwood Road, West Norwood Lambeth. Looks like a
    S Frost present at birth workhouse infirmary brook st lambeth.
    regards
    Lj

The birth cert with no father named points to Albert being illegitimate. I suspect that when the baptism took place they baptised the children together including Albert as Littlefield. Not unusual at the time.