Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Queen Victoria Grd Stephen Turner (1805-1874)

Hi -

I am researching my 3rd great grandfather. In some notes from the family, they indicated he was a member of Queen Victoria's guard. He was married to a Hannah "Ann" Smith, who was a cook for the guard. They had a son, Henry Alvin in ~1830 and immigrated to the US in 1833. The note we have says they left with Henry "suddenly" in 1833 - no mention of why the sudden.

I did find one marriage of a Stephen to an Ann Smith on 21 Mar 1832 at Old Church Saint Pancras, London. I don't believe this is the same family as this couple had a child which is not listed in any of the family notes.

I would appreciate any additional input/advice. Would the Queen's Guard's have kept their own separate records for marriages / births?

Regards,
    Jeff

Brick wall demolition expert!

Queen Victoria did not ascend to the throne until 1837, so if your ancestor was a soldier in one of the regiments assigned to guarding the Royal households he would have been on duty at Kensington Palace which is where she lived with her mother, the Duchess of Kent.

I imagine, although I don't know, that just as today, the regiments would have been standard regiments of the British army, and as such would not have had separate records for BMDs.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Be careful about eliminating a potential couple because of a child who’s not in family notes. There’s all sorts of reasons why that could have happened. For example, if that child had died young, family members born later might not have even known about him... In your position, I would spend a little time tracking the couple you have found. If they are still in the London records (Eg the census records for 1841 or 1851) after your ancestors arrived in the US, you can be sure they aren’t yours.

It’s always useful to know where the info in the notes came from. I keep all my data in 2 files - confirmed and family information - people often get details wrong...

Good luck!