Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Looking for someone in 1841 census

Caroline Turford married William Bell Wright on 23.12.1843 in the parish of St. Bride, London. He was a schoolmaster. His father was William Wright also a schoolmaster. Caroline's father was Charles Turford, a lawyer's clerk.

William and Caroline had a daughter - Julia Isabella Wright on 1st December 1843.

I believe Caroline died young as there do not seem to be other children to the marriage and William Bell Wright is a widow in the 1851 census. Julia appears with her paternal grandparents and father in 1851 in a school and in the 1861 census with her Turford grandmother. (Turford is mis-transcribed by Ancestry as 'Luxford').

I've searched GRO death indexes and the most likely seems to be in Q4 1849 for a Caroline Wright aged 28 in St. Luke, Finsbury, Middlesex and a burial record for a Caroline Wright on 9th December 1849 with an abode noted as New Charles Street. I think New Charles Street is the right sort of area.

I can't find Caroline in 1841 so can anyone help please. I'd like to try and pin her down a bit before I risk the 1849 death certificate.

Thank you.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Audrey,

'Tis the lady with a thousand questions again.

The most important one being - where have you got Caroline's surname of Turford from?

FreeBMD gives her surname for the marriage registration as Taxford, while the GRO's own website gives the maiden name of Julia Isabella Wight's mother as Tuxford. (which sounds more likely).

And now I've spotted that the marriage registration was in 1842 (not 1843 as you said), I've found the marriage on Ancestry. Caroline's surname is definitely, beyond all shadow of doubt, Tuxford.

1861 census
    RG9/201 folio 101 page 17 City Road, civil parish and registration district of St Luke
    Lydia Luxford, widow, 67, Bedford
    James, son, 30, cabinet maker, Boston Lincs
    Julia Wright, granddaughter, 17, Bedford
    Surname of Lydia and James is definitely Luxford.

However, I am convinced that the enumerator has made an error in transcribing from the original household schedule, and that the surname should be Tuxford.

1851 census. HO107/2009 folio 442 page 10 West Street, Boston (Lincs)
    Lydia Tuxford, 60, lodging house keeper, born Bedford.

1841 census HO107/613/7 folio 26 page 7. West Street, Boston
    Lydia Tuxford, 45
    Caroline, 15
    Thomas, 15
    Peter, 13
    Francis, 12

Baptisms, Boston St Botolph
    All with parents Charles and Lydia Tuxford. Full details on FMP in Lincolnshire Baptisms dataset.
    William Alexaander 1816
    Julia Louisa 1821
    Caroline 1823 (father's occupation - attorney's clerk)
    Thomas Henry 1826
    Peter John Wilks 1828
    James Rowland 1829
    Margaret 1831
    William 1831

Meanwhile if you search the GRO's own website for children surname Wright, mother's maiden name Tuxford you will find a further birth registration for Caroline, March quarter 1845 registered Ampthill registration district. Sadly followed by a death registration in the same quarter and registration district.

Further death registration, Ampthill registration district,June quarter 1847, Caroline Wright, aged 23. As that's the registration district Julia, her father, and his parents are living in in 1851 that surely has to be your Caroline.
    Remember that you can order PDF birth and death certificates for £7.00 for those years. See GRO's own website, and click relevant box. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp

ADDED:
    In their dataset for England marriages 1538-1973 FMP have a marriage of a Charles Tuxford and a Lydia Boddington 17 January 1810 in Bedford.
    FMP also have brief details of a marriage licence (original probably held in Bedfordshire Record Office/Archives) which says Charles of St Peter, Northampton. The licence transcript says that Lydia is a minor, and gives her surname as Boringdon.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thank you Pam - I have the questions but you always seem to have the answers, thankfully!

I got the name 'Turford' from a family connection and there were several trees on Ancestry which seemed to have the same information. I didn't check the GRO indexes for myself. I will ask to see Julia's birth certificate now and correct everything to Tuxford.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyF View Post
    Thank you Pam - I have the questions but you always seem to have the answers, thankfully!

I got the name 'Turford' from a family connection and there were several trees on Ancestry which seemed to have the same information. I didn't check the GRO indexes for myself. I will ask to see Julia's birth certificate now and correct everything to Tuxford.
    Tut, tut, Audrey. Surely we have taught you better than to just blindly copy stuff without checking for yourself. However 'reliable' your source is.
    And as for Ancestry trees - yes, use them as a basis for a search but check and double-check before accepting anything they say.

Some other stuff you may or may not have got.

Charles Tuxford - buried, aged 43, on 12 December 1834, Boston St Botolph though I strongly suspect that he might actually be buried in the old graveyard that used to be near the top of Skirbeck Road in Boston. ('Top' as in the end nearest the river.) It's now all been grassed over, with a children's play area in the middle of it.

Lydia Tuxford - death registration 1865 Clerkenwell registration district, aged 75.

Several of Charles and Lydia's children died when they were infants.
    William Alexander buried 1816.
    Margaret buried 1832 as was William, who I suspect was her twin brother.
    Julia Louisa buried, aged 17, in 1838.
    All burials Boston St Botolph (though see note re Charles' burial as to possible actual place). All burials available as PR images on FMP Lincolnshire Burials dataset.

Of their other children:

Thomas Henry Tuxford married Amelia Jones in London in 1851. Marriage on Ancestry.
    Indexed in 1881 census as Tayford. RG11/1077 folio 71 page 23.
    1891 RG12/803 folio 157 page 21
    Death registration has to be the one in 1899 Brighton registration district though his age of 76 is a few years out.

Peter John Wilks Tuxford married Sarah Ann Burden in 1860 in Swineshead. (PR image available on FMP Lincolnshire Marriages dataset.)
    He died 1893, buried in Swineshead. (Again, image on FMP LIncolnshire Burials dataset.)

James Rowland Tuxford married Emily Freemont in 1863 in London. Marriage on Ancestry.
    Has to be the death registration in Brighton regstration district in 1894, aged 63. (Seems the sea air in Brighton affected people's ability to do maths!!)

Do you have William Bell Wright's second marriage? February 1861 to Sarah Fryer. Marriage on Ancestry.
    1861 census. RG9/243 folio 156 page 13. With Sarah's children from her previous marriage to Christopher Wray Fryer. Christopher died 1859.
    William died aged 57, in 1868, Shoreditch registration district.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Pam,

Yes, I should have known better and will do so in future. My 'reliable' source is no longer considered as such. I was hoping I'd found a shortcut with this family who have driven me to distraction for many years.

Thank you for all the information you have found and shared - you have saved me much time which I can use to make sense of it and write it up for posterity - whether posterity wants it or not!