Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Father of Thomas Christopher Hungerford?

Hello everyone, I am not new to gennealogy having started my research back in the 80's but never seemed to have the time to dedicate to the task and every time I started up again I seemed to have to re-learn everything that had gone before!
    Anyway now I am fully immersed in tracing my branch of the Hungerfords living in the UK back through Ireland (mainly Cork) and hopefully back to England again.
    I have been stuck on my great great grandfather's parentage in Clonakilty for a while now only knowing he was one of a million Richards. There is also the recurring middle name of Morton which my father, great grandfather and great great Uncle had. I cannot see the origin of this at the moment.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    We have lots of members who love to help others try to solve their family puzzles.Just take a look around the forums, pick a suitable one, post all the information you have and tell us what it is you want to know. Help won't be too long in coming. Oh and don't get too hung up on which forum to post on, a Mod can always move if if needs be.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator

So are we looking for the parentage of Richard Morton Hungerford born abt ? Clonakilty?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    So are we looking for the parentage of Richard Morton Hungerford born abt ? Clonakilty?
    No, I am looking for the father of Thomas Christopher Hungerford born circa 1839 in Clonakilty. According to Thomas' marriage record his father was Richard, "a labourer". Can't find a suitable Richard though. The Morton issue is the fact that my father, his grandfather and his Uncle all had Morton as their middle name.

Thanks

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

It would help to know which sites you've searched, and which baptism records for Thomas Christopher you've rejected as unsuitable.
    Also, on which records are you basing Thomas' birthplace as well as his birth year of c1839? It's extremely dangerous to rely on one record as being correct.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    It would help to know which sites you've searched, and which baptism records for Thomas Christopher you've rejected as unsuitable.
    Also, on which records are you basing Thomas' birthplace as well as his birth year of c1839? It's extremely dangerous to rely on one record as being correct.

Pam
    Hi Pam
    I have searched bmd, irish genealogy, family search, the peerage, HAFS, Army service records etc. I am very sure Clonakilty is correct and am happy with 1839 - this actually comes from census record for 1891 and from Army service. Thomas was in the British Army originally based in Cork - he moved to England with the Army and retired when based at Fulwood in Lancashire.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobby2227 View Post
    Hi Pam
    I have searched bmd, irish genealogy, family search, the peerage, HAFS, Army service records etc. I am very sure Clonakilty is correct and am happy with 1839

Bob
    His army record has "attested underage at 14 yrs of age on Feb 4th 1851 ...".
    You don't appear to have checked Catholic Registers https://registers.nli.ie
    Might be worth a shot. I cannot see anything on his army record that rules out a Catholic baptism? Have had a look at Clonakilty - the baptisms cover the period you are interested in.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

This thread has been moved from the Introduce Yourself forum to the the County Clare forum with the new title
    Father of Thomas Christopher Hungerford?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    His army record has "attested underage at 14 yrs of age on Feb 4th 1851 ...".
    You don't appear to have checked Catholic Registers https://registers.nli.ie
    Might be worth a shot. I cannot see anything on his army record that rules out a Catholic baptism? Have had a look at Clonakilty - the baptisms cover the period you are interested in.
    Thanks - I had always assume protestant as we are all protestants now. There was a Thomas baptised 30/7/1837 with father Richard which I saw through the Irish Genealogy Site & I can see on the microfilm you pointed me to - many thanks by the way.

Bob