Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I think that the suggestion that Sarah Ann Reynolds was born as Sarah Ann Turner is correct.

In 1881 when Joseph Fisher is with his Reynolds grandparents, the birth registrations of the Reynolds children present confirm their mmn as TURNER.

As has been said, John REYNOLDS married Phebe TURNER on 25 Dec 1846, so by the 1851 census they had been married less than 5 years, but Sarah Ann is already aged 7 - HO107 2029 162 42
    Hi Jomot, you have endorsed all I posted @ 5#, thank you. Great minds think alike.

It would be good to hear Colin's thoughts on this scenario.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Hi Jomot1

Where did you find the marriage date?

I can only find the marriage indexes.
    It's on Freereg, Megan. Some extra information is; Groom full age a sawyer, father Thomas, shoemaker, Bride full age, father a nailer, deceased. Witnesses: Edward Onions and Hannah Evans
    Alma

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    It's on Freereg, Megan. Some extra information is; Groom full age a sawyer, father Thomas, shoemaker, Bride full age, father a nailer, deceased. Witnesses: Edward Onions and Hannah Evans

Thanks Almach.

I agree with both you and Jomot1 that its probable that Sarah Ann Reynolds was born before her parents John and Phoebe Reynolds were married. However, I do not think that you yet have the conclusive evidence that her mother was Phoebe /Phebe Turner before she married John Reynolds for the following reasons:

1. There are two possible marriages in Dudley between 1841 and 1851 between John Reynolds and a Phebe; one in 1846 and one in 1848, to a Phebe Harper.

2. The surname Reynolds is very common in the Dudley registration district, and there are various birth registrations for Sarah Ann's siblings; Mary A. and Thomas. It is true that there are corresponding registrations where the mother's maiden name was Turner, and there are none where the mother's maiden name was Harper, so I agree that it is very unlikely that Phebe Harper forms part of the story.

3. I cannot see any birth registration for a Sarah or Sarah Anne under the surname of Reynolds or Turner in the locality in the right years that fits. By that I mean I was looking for one where either the mother's maiden name was Turner, or there was no mother's maiden name.

The last point is the most important one.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Megan,
    Re the lack of a possible birth registration for Sarah Ann(e), don't forget that a lot of births weren't registered prior to 1874.
    There's also the chance that she might have been registered simply as 'female' plus surname because the mother/parents still had to decide on a name.

Doesn't help that Tipton is near the Worcestershire border, thus perhaps meaning the birth took place in a different county. (Though IIRC, in the census most birthplaces for the family do say Tipton.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi All

thanks for all your help on this
    I am very greatful
    Although I havent had a good chance to go over all the info
    I was leaning towards Sarah was a Widow born Reynolds and married a Turner but I have not had a lot of time to actually confirm this its a job for next week and have a good look at all the info that has been gathered.
    still unsure on the death cert i have for Sarah though
    Colin

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by colin1966 View Post
    Hi All

thanks for all your help on this
    I am very greatful
    Although I havent had a good chance to go over all the info
    I was leaning towards Sarah was a Widow born Reynolds and married a Turner but I have not had a lot of time to actually confirm this its a job for next week and have a good look at all the info that has been gathered.
    still unsure on the death cert i have for Sarah though
    Colin
    Colin, there is nothing in our T&CS which say that you must absorb all the information found within a certain time period or else both it and you will be e-x-t-e-r-m-i-n-a-t-e-d, so take your time.
    You've acknowledged the help given so far, and offered thanks, which is all that's necessary at the moment. Once you've had time to study a little more, and perhaps been able to check the details - and even add further information - then come back and give your opinion.

Re the death certificate, my main question is can you trace any other Sarah Fisher's of a similar age in the 1871 census (anywhere in England and Wales) in the 1881 census? Don't forget to include any Sarahs who married a Fisher between the 1871 census date and the date of death.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Pam

i am still working so it takes me a while to process the information but i certainly will
    The death certificate I have for a Sarah Ann Fisher 6C page 25
    When and where died - 25 Nov 1873 Dudley Port
    age 30
    Death in Tipton Registration District Dudley County of Stafford
    Wife of William Fisher Labourer
    signature Discription and residence of Informant - Phebe Dunn Present at Death Bell Street Tipton

this is what is on the death cert I have

Thanks Colin

I have as you suggested looking in other censuses and their are a few Sarah Fishers in fact there is another that lived in Dudley port who was a shop keeper and widowed sorry I don't have the details to hand but think it was the 1871 census

its really great that I am getting other ways to look at things from this site if that makes sense I can put all this to good use on the rest of the tree.

thanks

Colin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12