Default Ancestry - removing DNA matches below 8 cM

Ancestry have announced they are raising the threshold of DNA matches to 8 cM - it is currently 6 cM.
    From early August, you will no longer see your current matches below 8 cM, and will no longer receive new matches below this threshold.
    You can take steps to keep some of your existing matches, by adding them to groups, or adding a note to them.
    This article gives some estimates on how many matches you will lose, and how to keep them. https://www.
    dataminingdna.com/impact-of-ancestry-removing-your-dna-matches-in-2020/
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 23-07-2020 at 9:36 PM. Reason: Live link deactivated in accordance with our T&Cs

Famous for offering help & advice

I just wish that Ancestry would fix the site,one problem after another. The only response they give is to delete cache and empty browser!

Starting to feel at home

I was disappointed to find that Ancestry are doing this. Much as some people insist that 6 cM matches are pointless and irrelevant, I have managed to find a small number of distant cousins at this level who fit into various lines of my paper family tree. It is quite amazing to be able to connect to ancestors who were born as far back as 1730 and who would have inherited that particular 6 CM length of DNA from a parent who was born in the early 1700's or even just before.

Famous for offering help & advice

I am also disappointed with their decision. We have just had a match on the Mitchell line that looks promising - it doesn't stem back to the same person as all the other matches and feel the match probably goes back to a Sibling of my own ancestor as ours is on the 1841 born out of county, the 6cM match goes back to County Fife which gives me somewhere likely to look for the first time!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

In his latest newspaper, Peter Calver of Lost Cousins explains why Ancestry made the decision.
    https://www.lostcousins.com/newslett...s.htm#Ancestry
    Keep reading after that article because there are three more which all involve DNA im solving puzzles.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

Thanks Pam for putting this Lost Cousins link on. I have found the DNA masterclass interesting and hopefully it will now help me with my next project.

I too was disappointed with Ancestry's decision but now I've read this article I'm happier. Yes there are too many matches to go through.

I have recently discovered that I have my mother's paternal line all wrong! DNA tells me I have no-one matching that should be. My previous research on this line was all done by the traditional method of working back and proving it with certificates (pre DNA). That's good if people have told the truth, clearly one hasn't in this case!

So imagine my 'horror'! All that 'wasted' time and purchases believing it to be. I did enjoy the research but now have to de-construct and start again. My main question now is: who was her father? With no name to start could take me some time. DNA will play a huge part now.

I have already broken a brick wall down on my father's side using DNA. Didn't think I'd have to do it again on my mother's side.