Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default What happened to Robert Telfer?

Hi everyone,

I consider myself to be an excellent researcher, however, I'm stumped on this and it's really frustrating, so I hope someone can point me in the best direction.

I'm looking for Robert Telfer. What I do know is, his father's name is David, he married Margaret Dunbar on 17/04/1849, Daventry, Northamptonshire, England. He was living at the Weedon Barracks, Weedon Beck, Northamptonshire, at the time of his marriage. Robert was in the 87th Regiment of foot as a sergeant and shortly after his marriage, he was sent to India and was allowed to take his wife with him. That was the last I have heard about him. His wife, Margaret had remarried in Bengal India on 17/02/1850, to George Moore of the 87th Regiment of Foot, also a Sergeant, less than a year after her marriage to Robert Telfer. So what happened to Robert? I cannot find a death and I doubt he divorced her being less than 12 months after his marriage, but it maybe possible I guess, I just can't seen to find out what happened to him. I cannot afford anymore subscriptions either, I'm a member of Ancestry and Find My Past, I'm just a pensioner. I hope someone can lead me to finding out what happened to him?
    Many thanks Brenda

Famous for offering help & advice

Have you seen the Baptism transcription?

Robert David Telfer,DOB- 27 Jan 1850.

Baptism - 14 Feb 1850

Parents - Robert Telfer & Margaret

Āgra, West Bengal, India.

3 days after the Baptism Margaret,age 21, marries George Moore states widow.

Quite a short marraige before she was widowed.

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen

FMP (transcipt and image) has transcribed the baptism as "Selfer" not "Telfer".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Brick wall demolition expert!

It might be worth trying to get someone to search the army muster rolls for you which are held at the National Archives:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...sts-1730-1898/

Robert could have died at any time from May 1949, and Margaret's position would not have been easy as a young widow with a baby. As with widowed fathers with small children, it's not unusual to find rapid remarriages. They were much more pragmatic back then, and there was more security in a marriage. I wonder whether George Moore was also a widower... If she'd married him before baby Robert's birth, his surname would probably have been registered as Moore - the legal husband of the mother - but she gave the baby his father's forename as well, so obviously wanted him to be reminded of his Dad.

George Moore is described as "Bachelor" in the marriage register.

Possibly he died at sea?. The 87th began embarking for India from April 1849. The transports involved (that I've identified so far) are the Nith, the Sultana, the Dalhousie, the Lady Macdonald, the Plantagenet, the Edmundsbury and the Essex.
    The ship's log or Surgeon's records would note any death on board? Haven't checked National Archives.

There is an article in the Bombay Gazette 7 January 1850 which may be relevant:

A letter from Allahabad, dated 26th, states that the left wing of HM 87th Regiment arrived yesterday,- their loss has been great since parting with the Head Quarters on 17th September last, 102 men have died, and at present the same wing have 150 in Hospital. A great many men will have to be left behind, in Allahabad. The Regiment will march hence towards Meerut about the 5th Proximo.

Home News for India, China and the Colonies, 7 Jan 1850
    DR MAXWELL'S TREATMENT OF CHOLERA
    The Bengal Hurkaru of the 11th, hears that Dr Maxwell's remedy for cholera was tried in her Majesty's 87th at Chinsurah, with a most satisfactory success

Although some months later, there is also this in the Kilkenny Moderator 16 Nov 1850:

The Naval and Military Gazette has the following. By letters from the 87th Regiment, dated 4th September 1850, we learn that the corps has suffered severely from sickness since it left England in April 1849, having buried 290 men, independent of women and children.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Wow I had no idea they had a child together. Now I will be hunting to find out what happened to the child, as he was not with them when they came to Australia.
    Thank you for providing me with information I never had, and now many more questions as to what happened.
    Margaret would have been returned to Britain if she was not married to an officer, which George Moore was. Thank you so much again, I really appreciate it greatly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast