Thread: Isaac Isaacs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Isaac Isaacs

After donkeys years I'm still trying to bash through a brick Wall re my relative Lewis Isaacs.
    He married Caroline (Catherine) Isaacs 19th August 1807 (ref GSM 110/44). This record gives Lewis' father as Isaac Isaacs. Looking at the will for an Isaac Isaacs who died 19 Nov 1801 which is not easy I think I spotted mention of a son Lewis Isaacs. A interesting aside is my late father's birthday was 19th November.
    I can't find any mention of this Lewis beyond the possibility he was Caroline Pykes future husband.
    I've found three individuals from this marriage: Leon Lewis Isaacs who emigrated to Australia, John Lewis Isaacs and his brother Joseph Lewis Isaacs. My current thoughts are that Lewis Isaacs died after the birth of his third son, say around 1815. His widow Caroline or Catherine (Keila)Isaacs appears in 1841 in the Louisson household in Leman Street. My reasoning is her sister Judith Pyke(Julia-Yettla)married George Melville Louisson the son of Joel Isaacs of some infamy (hence the name change).
    Tracing Catherine Isaacs after this census is tricky but in 1851 a Catherine Isaacs is visiting a Joseph Pyke in Chatham. In 1861 I found a Catherine Isaacs in Wentworth Street, a "dealer" aged 74. This being correct, I estimated her death in 1871.. but no record of a burial??
    An intriguing link is that to Jamaica; in 1841 also in Leman Street with Catherine is a Rachel Isaacs who I believe was the wife of Cecil Isaacs, the son of the same Joel Isaacs mentioned above. I traced a daughter of Cecil/Rachel as Caroline Isaacs born 1820, died 1831 Montego Bay. Cecil himself died 24 Jun 1865, Montego Bay.
    Rachel must have deserted Jamaica and Cecil prior to 1841. There must be a story there?
    I also picked up an early record of a Lewis Isaacs renting a house in Leman Street. Is that house one and the same of George Louissons residence? That being so it may be that Catherine Isaacs was still the chief tenant paying the rent in lieu of her deceased husband?
    I suppose the main question concerns the identification of Lewis in Isaac's 1801 will and his unrecorded death say 1815. Could he have gone to Jamaica?
    Any comments welcomed. My Y-DNA is J2a1b.
    Allan Isaacs

An interesting family and I got sidetracked by the Louisson family! In 1841 also in Leman Street with Catherine in the household of George and Julia Louisson is their son Charles age 1. It seems he emigrated to Australia and then New Zealand where he ended up being Mayor of Christchurch for a few years. he and two brothers Cecil and Albert owned a brewery with Albert being the financial expert of the three. This is on a public tree on ancestry. Charles Melville Louisson born 1840 is on the 1851 census with his family but then disappears from the UK until 1901 when he and his NZ born wife are back in London for a visit, staying at the Cecil Hotel. His son Maurice George LOUISSON became a Doctor, training at Guys Hospital. You may have this already but I found it an interesting read.
    Now to see if I can find anything on your brick wall Lewis Isaacs.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Allan
    I am away from home at present but am returning this week. From memory we posted on the Louisson and Pyke lines on this forum. My own lines married into the Pyke in Australia and you may want to look at the threads already posted. On my return I will look closely on the Isaacs line.
    Christina-would you mind posting the Louisson and Pyke/Hart threads previously posted.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks for your quck reply Phillip. As you can imagine I'm pretty keen to crack the mystery.
    Do you have access to the will of Isaac Isaacs 1801? There are 4 pages (I think it was on Ancestry). If he is my Lewis' father I have lots of info. eg Isaac Enzley Isaacs, married to Catherine. Parents Henry Hirsch Seligman Isaacs d 14 Apr 1792 and Hannah Cohen d 24 Nov 1802. 5 brothers and two sisters. Living around Dukes Place with butchers shop. If indeed there is a Lewis mentioned in the will he seems to have disappeared. I don't think he's the watchmaker Lewis or the Lewises in Cheltenham,Portsmouth or Manchester and there is no record of a death from 1837. His occupation was said to be "broker" which most researchers assume is clothes broker. This seems reasonable as his son John Lewis was a tailor. That info is useful as it ties in with Asher Benjamin (his father in law) a tailor. But where is hi apprenticeship record? A slight puzzle is John Lewis' marriage in 1837 gives his father as Lewis Isaacs, broker but fails to include "deceased" which could imply either a slip or that his father was indeed alive but maybe estranged? Later Leon Isaacs does say his father is dead with his mother Catherine Pyke living in London. Why give his mother's maiden name unless his father was estranged.. that was a clue to the philandering gene...
    cheers
    Allan

Default LEWIS ISAACS

Hi Allan
    I will need to look at the Isaac Isaacs will but so far can't see him for the early 1800 date you posted on Synagogue Scribes will extracts.As you know there are Isaacs born 1839-1843 in Leman Street with a father Lewis and Hebrew name Yehuda b Meir. My Hart married into the Moses Louis Pyke 1808-1894=Esther Hart line with Moses Pyke son of Lewis Eleazer Pyke 1789-1851.

When I get access to my records I will post any relevant data.

Christina- Thank you for posting the thread links.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

OK Phillip. I've uploaded the will to my website.. scroll down to the bottom of the page and download the 4 pages. Will Page 1 etc
    https://www.radiomuseum.co.uk/aboutme.html

Looks like your Moses Pyke was my 1st cousin 4 times removed. Maybe we're related?
    Allan

Hi Christina
    I have re-read my earlier contributions and also corresponded with Louisson relatives in the past.
    Looking for my Lewis Isaacs is like looking for a needle in a haystack. There are several intersting clues but up to now all have failed to provide his details. I picked up the will of Isaacs Isaacs and I think?? it includes a reference to a Lewis Isaacs together with lots of other names. The dates are pretty well perfect and he does seem to disappear except for the 1807 marriage. Why only 3 children? Unless there are others I missed would imply he wasn't around after circa 1814. One possibility is the "philandering gene" which quite definitely was present later. Geoff Isaacs my 3rd cousin exhaustively identified the results of this in his researches (in his own tree). There's also the Montego Bay clues but these are less likely to help.
    For some reason none of his children appear to have easy-to-discover birth records which is slightly puzzling. I'd like to discover which of the several Catherine Isaacs nee Pyke's death records is correct and to find where she was buried.
    cross fingers.. Allan