Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Isaac Isaacs

Hi Allan
    For clarity and to help track down Lewis Isaacs here are records from Berger which you may or may not have:
    Marriage-FREDERICK LOUISSON Weds 7.11.1866 at the Whittington Club Strand 4th son of George M Louisson 0f 30 Leman Street to ANNIE eldest daughter of I ISAACS of Harrow Alley Houndsditch- JULIA LOUISSON mother.
    I would need to see your family tree to identify more clearly the family relationships.
    Berger has a range of data on the various Pyke and Louisson plus Isaacs and I would like to compare them to your lines.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Can you read a PAF5 file or should I convert it for you?
    Allan

Hi Allan
    I have sent you a private e mail.

Allan- I can't locate the 2 letters written by Napthali Hart to his sister Bella Solomon. I need to re-check my files. However, the letters are held by Cambridge University Library under the collection Redcliffe Nathan SALAMAN Scientific,Personal and Family Papers 1843-1956. Correspondence of Nina Salaman- 2 letters from Napthali Hart to his sister Bella SOLOMAN ( Nb they have got the wrong spelling for the surname Bella Hart married Josiah SOLOMON. The letters are dated 30 Oct 1843 and 30 Sept 1844).

I also looked at 4 Ancestry.Co public family trees on Isaac Isaacs and there is 1 with a son Lewis Isaacs died by 1817 but no details. The others have either poor or limited data.
    More research is needed.

I have re-read the will of Isaac Isaacs who died in 1801 Dukes Street Aldgate Butcher. In his will he refers to his sons Henry, Lewis, Moses and Joseph and daughters Kitty ? and Hannah MOSES. His mother is also mentioned Hannah. Bequests are made to Solomon Isaacs and his friends Michael Isaacs, Aaron Bl..? Isaac Davis.
    His executors are Abraham Goldsmid and George Isaacs and witnesses Nathan Phillips and Hyam Moses.
    Two of his children are infants suggesting they are under 21 years.

I will look further at the names of his children.

OK Phillip
    Just read your message.
    I did rewrite the will into a word doc and figured out most of the info in it.
    It may prove to be the most promising lead I've found. Children: Hannah 1772 married Matthew Moses, Samuel 1775 married Sarah Levy, Kitty 1778 married Lewis Lion, Henry 1784, Lewis 1786, Joseph 1795 and Moses 1797 (dates mostly guesses) Isaac's wife Catherine 1757-1800?
    I recall Isaac's mother's will from 1802 is also available.
    Isaac will be Isaac Enzle(y)

Who is referred to in the Morning Chronicle
    Olympic Pavillion, Newcastle St, Strand.. Monday 2nd Nov 1807
    A Miss Isaacs will sing "The glad trumpet sounds a victory" her first appearance.
    Could this be a daughter (although if so she doesn't appear in this will)?
    Also Royalty theatre; Monday 28 Sept 1807
    I ask this because (many years later)two of my great aunts were music hall artistes.
    Alas, they seem to have used aliases because they just diappeared!
    One was Hannah Isaacs b 16 Feb 1874 Liverpool and her sister Henrietta Mary Isaacs b 3 Sep 1879.
    Allan

Small updates- Synagogue Scribes Will extracts NA194 1802 Hannah Isaacs daughter of Joseph Cohen Izdek "the pious priest" and wife of Seligman. In the will she refers to her son Joseph but also various relations and others.
    Synagogue Scribes GSMEM 228R 225 Isaac Isaacs 1780-81 father Ensle Fishman (Israel Isaacs)
    GSMEM 286R 283 Henry Isaacs 1787-78 father's Hebrew name Ensle Fishman

Noted also the reference to Solomon Isaacs in Jamaica- there is reference online to this family.

Looking at Leon Isaacs who I assume is the son of Lewis Isaacs and Catherine (Caroline) Pyke.. because he says this in his Australian immigration papers 1842.
    His marriage GSMa 002/30 says he was descended from a privileged member. Was this his father Lewis or Lewis' father given as Isaac in Lewis' 1807 marriage GSM110/44 or further back perhaps.. "the pious priest" for example? Does the Priv member mean a rabbi or something broader? Alternatively could this refer to Catherine Pykes relative although her father Lezer Schnek (Eleazer Pyke)was a (lowly) pencil maker.
    Allan

The term Privileged Member or householder means that an individual has paid 10 guineas up to 1870 for the right to vote in Synagogue affairs and decisions plus able to stand for office and have a better plot in the Synagogue Cemetery.This right descends from the father. The term Reb can mean 'teacher' or used as a term of respect.It does not mean Rabbi or other religious connection.

I note that Lewis Isaacs on his 1807 marriage record had the Hebrew name Lucas. Lewis is usually derived from Levi.In 1841 Leon Isaacs father Lewis had the Hebrew name Eliakim not Lucas.
    I have seen in the Lewis Eleazer Pyke marriage that his Hebrew name was Eliakim and need to confirm whether or not the Hebrew name Eliakim could also be Lewis in English.
    Gaby Laws in her recent message to me found no data which connected Lewis Isaacs as a son of Isaac Isaacs but that was not to say there was no connection but rather no current confirmatory data.

I think a lot more research is needed to see if the children of Isaac Isaacs and specifically Lewis relate in any confirmed way to Lewis Isaacs and the Pyke line.

There are a couple of other potential clues yet to be discovered Phillip.
    My great great grandad John Lewis Isaacs put Lewis Isaacs, broker as his father on his 1837 marriage cert.
    His brother Joseph Lewis Isaacs left it rather late to marry in 1854 to a widow Hannah Cohen (also neé Cohen)but left his father's name blank on his marriage cert. Both marriages were in Birmingham (1837 and 1854) but I have yet to discover the Jewish documents or register entries which might supply their father's Hebrew name.
    Is such info available?
    Allan
    PS nor have I discovered birth records for John Lewis Isaacs or Joseph Lewis Isaacs or Leon Lewis Isaacs (all three used Lewis as their middle name) circa 1810 to 1813.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast