Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Red face William Taylor base son/Newman

Hi
    This is my first post here as I truly have hit a brick wall with this one.
    I found my 3rd great grandfather on Ancestry; William Taylor born 1793 in Forthampton, Gloucestershire. He is showing as the base son of Margaret Taylor and John Newman. Margaret Taylor then married a William Freeman in 1796.
    I can't find any information about John Newman as I know nothing about him at all other than he was the father of the illegitimate William Taylor.

The Taylor history I have so far goes back to 1631 from what I can tell. Before my dad died in 2011 he completed a Dear Dad memory book for me. In that book he wrote that his great-great grandfather was a hangman and that the family came from Scotland. I have no family members on Ancestry coming from Scotland - the nearest I've got is a couple of births in Cumbria. I also can't find any 3rd great grandfather as a hangman. My aunt tells me that she believes the hangman was in Greece during a war of some kind.

If anybody could give me any pointers I'd really appreciate it.
    I have another brick wall request for my maternal side which I will post separately.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

Caroline

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen.
    You have William " born 1793". Your find on Ancestry - was it from a Parish Register (transcript or image) or from a Tree posted on Ancestry?

FindMyPast Baptisms (transcript only)
    Wm Taylor OR Newman, bap - 19 June 1791, place - Forthampton, father John Newman, mother Margaret Taylor
    Hannah Sherring OR Newman, bap - 22 May 1796, place - Forthampton, father John Newman, mother Jane Sherring
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    A very warm welcome to Brit-gen.
    You have William " born 1793". Your find on Ancestry - was it from a Parish Register (transcript or image) or from a Tree posted on Ancestry?

FindMyPast Baptisms (transcript only)
    Wm Taylor OR Newman, bap - 19 June 1791, place - Forthampton, father John Newman, mother Margaret Taylor
    Hannah Sherring OR Newman, bap - 22 May 1796, place - Forthampton, father John Newman, mother Jane Sherring

helachau - found it
    Its on Ancestry in "Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813"

Also found a John Newman base born son of Ann Cowper bapt. 24 April 1757 in the same set of images. so could this be him.

Searching for John Newman in the same place - Forthampton only gave 3 returnes 2 for the same person born in 1707 and this one born 1757.

Keep forgetting I've got Ancestry as a "freebie" under lockdown. Nice to see the images.

As for John Newman, bap 24 Apr 1757, it reads "John Newman base son of Ann Cowper was baptised April 24th". Is "Newman" a second name rather than a Surname. Including father's Surname as a second name is a well known technique in base born cases. In later years was he a Cowper or a Newman?
    Else a good candidate for the 2 Forthampton baptisms.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Growing old Disgracefully

is'nt Base Born mean the mother isn't married to the father.

I discounted the other one as he would have been in his 80's

Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813 for Wm Taylor
    It says on the record Taylor - Wm Base born son of Margaret by John Newman.

Same set of record has John Newman base born son of Ann Cowper. so thats a problem.

But looking at all the records not many have a second name.