Default Jones, Evans, Ancell and Ethelston

Hi Everyone. My name is Frances Elaine (Elayne) Ethelston. I am interested in 4 family trees. Ethelston for my children.
    Jones for myself
    Evans for myself and my cousin
    Ancell for myself and cousin

The trees for Ethelston, Evans and Ancell have all been researched quite far back but we are always adding to it as and when information arises.

Jones, my maiden name, is somewhat different. My dads name was William Thomas Glynn Jones who was born in Criftins, Shropshire and then lived at waen farm, park mill and the pennell cottage all in Maesbury Marsh, nr oswestry in shropshire. He had a brother Harold Emlyn Jones who died in 1944 as a result of an accident at shrewsbury railway station. They had a sister Eleanor (Bessie) who married a Melville ( Melvin) lloyd. Their fathers name, my grandad, was Thomas Jones who died in 1945 he was married to Emily Jones nee Davies. My gg grandfather was William Thomas Jones who was 90 years old in 1945 living somewhere in liverpool?. I know my gg grandfather was married twice to Sarah first then Annie. I know there was some sort of rift in the family as apparently my grandad Tom would never talk about his father, neither did my dad Glynn, who died aged just 50 in 1970, also my gg grandfather did not attend either his sons or grandsons funerals. This is as far as I have got. I know my grandfather had several brothers and sisters and the family lived for a couple of generations in the Criftins, Ellesmere area in Shropshire. When my Aunt Bessie died my mother, myself and brother attended her funeral but where unknown to everyone there, which hurt me and my brother Keith very much as we are/were her nearest blood relatives. The reading from the Vicar also denied my Fathers existence, this i think was due to the fact my mum remarried after my father died an action my Auntie Bessie did not approve of, however I feel my Aunt Bessie would have been mortified if she knew my father's existence was denied. She loved her brothers very much my Mum always said. Anyway I digress. So I have not got any further than my gg grandfather. I cannot find his death record, birth record etc. If anyone knows any info about the Jones from Criftins family I would be very interested to hear from you. At the time of writing I know of no relatives at all from my dads side of the family.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. Believe me, my surname is almost as common as Jones, so I do understand the problems of finding ancestors inconsiderate enough to have such names!
    I suggest that you take a look around, select a suitable forum and tell us exactly what you have on the ancestor giving you the most difficulty at the moment (probably your gg grandfather?), remembering that we can't allow details about (potentially) living people to be published on-forum. Even an approximate date or a guess at a location can help as long as you say what if definite (eg from a certificate) and what is an estimate. The more we have to make him stand out from the others (eg wife's name? Children's names?) will help.
    If you are new to these forums, you may find the message HERE helpful.

Enjoy!

Brick wall demolition expert!

As someone has many many Welsh surnames in their tree, including Jones, I do empathise, especially as I also have Smith in my tree! That said Jones has proved to be the most difficult.

If one of the addresses that you have referred to in your message is:

Park Mill, Maesbury, Oswestry, Oswestry R.D., Shropshire

Then Thomas and Emily were living there at the time of the 1939 Register together with one other person whose record is closed. Thomas's birth date was 19 Aug 1889 and Emily's 31 Dec 1888.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Harold Emlyn Jones's accident was reported in the Liverpool Daily Post 12 April 1944. You find a copy of that on Findmypast, if you haven't seen it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post

If one of the addresses that you have referred to in your message is:

Park Mill, Maesbury, Oswestry, Oswestry R.D., Shropshire
    https://newspapers.library.wales/vie...8/4594115/104/

Column 3, Title "OSWESTRY" - another mention of Jones, Park Mill, Maesbury.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hullo Elayne/Elaine, do you have your DNA on a genealogy site? There is an Ethelstone who matches me and I don't know of any recent Jones or Ethelstons in my family tree. The denial of various person's existence in your tree may be the result of an NPE or strongly disapproved formal or informal union. My McGregors were very disapproving when my GGF fathered a child with his Chinese housekeeper only one year after his dearly loved wife died. No one mentioned that part of the family but I discovered GGF and his 4 additional children while doing genealogy. I would be very interested to see what you think.