Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suttons in kent

Default Suttons in kent

I'M serching for my Great Great Grandfather, Thomas Sutton and seem to have hit a brick wall and needing some help, I have gone as far as his place and date of birth which is 1835 in Brabourne Kent England. His wife is Ann Easter born 1837 in Sandwich kent. I'm looking to find Thomas Suttons father,in all probability his name likely to be Thomas as that is a regular hand me down name, there appears to be a number of Sutton lines and not sure which line to follow, any help would be most appreciated

Brick wall demolition expert!

The name of Thomas's father will be on his marriage certificate.

Thomas and Ann's marriage was registered in Blean in the 4th quarter of 1855 Volume 2A Page 1059. Marriage Certificates can be purchased from the GRO at : https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

However, I can tell you that the marriage took place at Seasalter, St Alphege on 24 Oct 1855, and his father was Thomas, and hers was William.

Reputation beyond repute

date of birth which is 1835 in Brabourne Kent
    Where did you get that from?

The father's occupation from the marriage certificate was shoemaker. From the 1841 census, it appears that the parents were Thomas and Catherine.

From the parish register, there is a baptism on 5 Aug 1832 in Brabourne, St Mary the Virgin. Bit earlier than 1835! Young Thomas is listed as 8 years old in the 1841 census.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    The name of Thomas's father will be on his marriage certificate.

Thomas and Ann's marriage was registered in Blean in the 4th quarter of 1855 Volume 2A Page 1059. Marriage Certificates can be purchased from the GRO at : https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

However, I can tell you that the marriage took place at Seasalter, St Alphege on 24 Oct 1855, and his father was Thomas, and hers was William.
    I have my 2x great grandfather as thomas Sutton in Brabourne Kent, I have visited the local church and found about 10 graves beloning to Suttons, but none of the names can I connect to my tree, so I was thinking that I may have the wrong Thomas Sutton.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Dellers39 View Post
    I have my 2x great grandfather as thomas Sutton in Brabourne Kent, I have visited the local church and found about 10 graves beloning to Suttons, but none of the names can I connect to my tree, so I was thinking that I may have the wrong Thomas Sutton.
    I am afraid that I don't really understand the relevance of this or the point that you are trying to make.

The marriage that I have given you is the only marriage in all of England and Wales between a Thomas Sutton and an Ann Easter, therefore it has to be the right one.

Peter is his reply has provided you with the most likely baptism. Although you did not answer his about where the date of birth from, I would hazard a guess a guess that it came from a census, and they have inaccuracies.

The reference for the 1841 Census that Peter refers to is HO107 Piece 477 Book 11 Folio 30 Page 12 and you see that Thomas (aged 8) was one of 7 children and that his father is described as a Cordwainer, which was a Shoemaker. Originally, a leather worker using high quality Cordovan leather from Spain for such things as harness, gloves and riding boots. By the 19 century it had reduced to a shoemaker - as distinct from a cobbler, who repaired shoes.

Reputation beyond repute

I was thinking that I may have the wrong Thomas Sutton.
    I'm afraid I share Megan's concerns. We have assumed that you have cast iron evidence that Thomas Sutton and Ann Easter were your direct ancestors. This evidence could be for example a birth certificate of someone you know to be an ancestor (a great grandparent?) which shows the parents as Thomas Sutton and Ann Easter.

Perhaps you could confirm who your earliest definite direct ancestor is in this line. By definite I mean where you have a string of documentary evidence leading from you to this person. Also where are you getting your evidence from? I'm sure you're aware that Findmypast is the main site for Kent parish registers.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I'm afraid I share Megan's concerns. We have assumed that you have cast iron evidence that Thomas Sutton and Ann Easter were your direct ancestors. This evidence could be for example a birth certificate of someone you know to be an ancestor (a great grandparent?) which shows the parents as Thomas Sutton and Ann Easter.

Perhaps you could confirm who your earliest definite direct ancestor is in this line. By definite I mean where you have a string of documentary evidence leading from you to this person. Also where are you getting your evidence from? I'm sure you're aware that Findmypast is the main site for Kent parish registers.
    My earliest definite ancestor would be my grandfather, also called Thomas Sutton born in Whitstable Kent in 1871

Reputation beyond repute

Thomas Sutton bap 18 May 1871 Seasalter, son of Thomas (shoemaker) and Ann (Ann Easter according to GRO index)

I think your generations are muddled somewhere because this doesn't tie up with your first message.

Thomas Sutton (a mariner) married Ann Easter 24 Oct 1855 Seasalter. Groom's father's name was Thomas (shoemaker).

From the 1871 census, Thomas senior was born in around 1832 in Brabourne. This ties in with the baptism I found for you in message No 3 above.

Thomas (1832) is surely your great grandfather - not great great grandfather which is what you said in message no 1.

His occupation (mariner? shoemaker?) is confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Thomas Sutton bap 18 May 1871 Seasalter, son of Thomas (shoemaker) and Ann (Ann Easter according to GRO index)

I think your generations are muddled somewhere because this doesn't tie up with your first message.

Thomas Sutton (a mariner) married Ann Easter 24 Oct 1855 Seasalter. Groom's father's name was Thomas (shoemaker).

From the 1871 census, Thomas senior was born in around 1832 in Brabourne. This ties in with the baptism I found for you in message No 3 above.

Thomas (1832) is surely your great grandfather - not great great grandfather which is what you said in message no 1.

His occupation (mariner? shoemaker?) is confusing.
    Yes you are correct, Thomas Sutton 1832 is my Great Grandfather, but its his father that Iam trying to confirm that I have the correct line. I have his father as Thomas Sutton born in Brabourne married to Catherine Young although I can not find any marriage certificate to confirm that. several graves at Brabourne church are Sutton's but I can not find any connection to my tree which has made me wonder if I have the correct line.

Reputation beyond repute

I have his father as Thomas Sutton born in Brabourne married to Catherine Young although I can not find any marriage certificate to confirm that
    I don't know how you "have" the marriage without finding proof.

I think I see the family in the 1851 census, now in Canterbury HO107/1624 f 396 p 14

Thomas is born in Brabourne, Catherine in Sellinge

There's a daughter Ellen bap 1843 Brabourne. She features in the GRO index
    Births Jun 1843
    SUTTON Ellen E Ashford 5 3

That's from FreeBMD. Checking the new GRO index, there seems to be a difference of opinion about her name and she is listed as Elsie. Her mother's maiden name is indeed YOUNG.

There's a marriage between a Thomas SUTTON and a Catherine YOUNG on 3 Oct 1825 at St Leonard, Hythe.

This is not supposed to be a lookup site and you really need to look at Findmypast. This is the most important site for Kent records. They have the Kent registers except for the Medway area which are free online via Medway Archives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast