Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Default Frederick Scrine (Wiltshire and Swansea)

My connection with the Scrines is through my grandmother Kate, his niece, (Holt, Wiltshire) who married Edward G Rogers.

Frederick Scrine was born Holt, near Bradford on Avon in 1844 to Charles and Henrietta. In 1861 he is in Holt at The White Hart as a servant. There is a service record for a Frederick Scrine, a Driver from December 1861 to 1865 in the Royal Artllery., having joined the Wiltshire Militia in May 1861.

On November 10th 1874 he was married to Eliza Johns at the St Peter's Chapel of Ease, Swansea. His occupation was shown as a Coachman.
    I am curious to know why or how he finished up in Swansea. Would it have been through Army Service?

Incidentally he was the father of Frederick George Scrine who played Rugby for Wales between 1899 and 1901 and the great grandfather of Francis Scrine who played soccer for Swansea Town and was twice capped for Wales c1950.

Any info regarding Fred's wanderings down to Swansea would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks. Jeff

Knowledgeable and helpful

I have no information on why Scrine settled in Swansea but I have done a couple of checks in Holt records. No baptisms for the surname up to 1837 and only one burial, for Jane in 1767. No baptisms in Holt Congregational either. (Marriages and burials are at St Katharine's.) pwholt

There is a very well sourced tree on ancestry for Frederick and family which goes back through his parents Charles Scrine and Henrietta Jane Harrison both born Wiltshire, then Charles' parents Charles Scrine and Elizabeth Biggs both born Bradford On Avon, Wiltshire. Great grandparents of Frederick are Charles Scrine and Jane Matthews again both born Bradford On Avon, Wiltshire so I would be inclined to think Frederick was in Swansea with his regiment.
    This is The National Archives research guide for military records which may help but I haven't investigated myself.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Thanks for those replies. It will give me a litle more to work on.
    Jeff

Wondered if you'd checked out this site? https://newspapers.library.wales

Scrine in search delivers 328 hits - the bulk of them 1900-1909. Enjoyed the first story about your "rellie's" 1907 suspension.
    If you search key is more than 1 word eg "frederick george scrine" wrap the search key with " ".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

I have noticed that "Scrine" has been OCR read as "Serine" on the Welsh newspapers' database (frequently) and elsewhere (BNA occasionally). It's worth your while searching for "Fred Serine" and "Frederick Serine" on Welsh newspapers.

The item on BNA (British Newspaper Archive) related to Frederick Snr.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"