Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Kenneth Crofton WWII Escaped from Italy

I am trying to piece together my Dad's war history. He was taken prisoner on the Gazala Line on 9th April 1942. He was in Battery No. 296 of 74th Field Regiment R.A. and involved in preparing the Box defences before The Battle of Gazala. He eventually was in P.O.W Camp 49 in Italy and escaped (I think?) before the Armistice. I understood he was then re-captured by the Germans but he escaped from a train when he was being transferred into Germany.This last piece of his history is where I want to establish it is correct, or did he escape with others after Armistice. If so, when did he escape and whereabouts i.e. still in Italy or in Germany?
    I do know that he crossed the Alps after being helped by Italian farmers and end up in an internment camp where he then met and married my mother.
    I know some of his comrades died crossing the Alps. I am not sure how many were on that journey with him.

Reputation beyond repute

Have you
    (a) Obtained his service record?
    and
    (b) Read the research guide?

The guide provides valuable pointers to Findmypast and the National Archives where you will find much of interest.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ar-korean-war/