Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Interpeting RN Seamans Records

Hi everyone,
    This is a general question about RN service records in the period 1873-1919.

Generally there is a column headed Ships Book, divided into two columns "List" & "Number". I am pretty sure this is to do with pay, but I am trying find the relevance of the 'List' numbers. Typically for the men I am researching the numbers 1b, 5, 14, 15, 15a, 15l, 16 & 6 seem to crop up frequently.

Does anyone know where I can find a complete list of thse 'List Numbers'

Regards,
    Vic

Reputation beyond repute

Which series are you looking at?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Which series are you looking at?
    Peter, Thanks for your response, but I am not quite sure to what you are referring.

The particular record I am looking at is ADM 188 /168/0/1446 for William Charles French (ON 126705), but I have also been looking at the records for his father William Coombes French CS32803/0N 63832 in ADM 188/44/0/385 which has a slightly different format but still seems to use the same sort of list numbers.

I have the feeling that the numbers may relate to a particular 'phase' or service, e.g Training, At Sea, Instructing, etc., Am I right?

Regards, Vic

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen

From FindMyPast's "Understanding Naval Service Records"

" ... how to unpack a Royal Navy Service record ...

The "List and No" column refers to the pay list of the ship's ledger on each ship that he served on, and his ship's book number"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks "helachau",
    Yes, I have seen the Find My Past info, but I am looking for something more. Just to know that the List & No relates to the pay list is all very well, but what do the numbers mean. They must have some significance otherwise why would they be used? And why would they change with each 'posting' OK, If they related to the specific vessel/shore establishment, but why do the same List numbers keeping cropping up in different ships, and more significantly across different people. The same 'List' numbers crop up in the records for my grandfather, his two brothers and their father!
    Regards,
    Vic

Reputation beyond repute

The "series" is ADM188. The range of dates that you quoted threw me because it didn't tie in with any series I was familiar with (ADM188 covers 1853-1924)

Helachau has answered the question.

There is some information in the research guide
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...rds-1853-1928/
    The guide also has contains links to related topics which you may wish to pursue in due course.

Apologies. I completely misread your "I am pretty sure this is to do with pay, ...".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"