Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Capt? Thomas Tierney

I am looking for information about life and service history of Thomas Tierney b. Feb. 1778 in Limerick, Ireland. Son of John Tierney of Ballyscanland, Limerick, Ireland & Mary Gleeson. Thomas died in 1847 in Dublin, Ireland. In 1803 he married Elizabeth Fitzgerald (nee Dartnell). Elizabeth died 1810 & Thomas remarried in 1838 to Sarah Hamilton (nee Maguire)
    From what I have discovered so far Thomas was a Captain & sometime paymaster of the 43rd regiment of foot, but I have not been able to find his name on any lists.
    I believe he spent some time in India as he had a son born in East Indies, then 2 more children born in Dublin.
    Don't know if he was married anytime between death of Elizabeth in 1810 & remarriage to Sarah in 1838, but could be a possibility as he had young chidren from first marriage.
    My link to Thomas comes from his last born child Jane Tierney b. 1838 in Dublin. Jane travelled to Australia sometime in the 1850's

Would be grateful to receive information from anyone on Thomas & his branch of the family.

Reputation beyond repute

I have not been able to find his name on any lists.
    Found this

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ls/r/C13322607

Statesman (London), Wed 29 July 1812
    MILITARY PROMOTIONS
    War Office 28 July
    43rd Regiment of Foot, Thomas Tierney, Esq, to be Paymaster of the 1st Batallion, vice Richards deceased.

London Gazette
    https://thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/16626/page/1442
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Cork Constitution, 3 Dec 1829
    We regret to hear that Sir Mathew Tierney has just received an account of the death of one of his nephews, Lieutenant John Tierney, of the 40th Regiment Bengal Native Infantry, at Mahow in the East Indies, in the 24th year of his age. This young gentleman, who died of an attack of Spasmodic Cholera, after an illness of 17 hours, was the second son of Thomas Tierney, Esq, late Paymaster of the 43rd Light Infantry. His amiable qualities so gained him the esteem of his brother Officers, that they intend erecting a monument to his memory.

Struggling to find the 43rd in India before 1854? For example,
    https://lightbobs.com/43rd-light-infantry-1741-1914.html

Tabbing down to 43rd Light Infantry and hovering on field produces a timeline - cannot place the 43rd in India.

Realised after posting that Thomas might have been in India as a "civvie"?
    Have found 2nd son John's application for the East India Company. FMP has it under "Turney" not "Tierny"

Famous for offering help & advice

He gets a mention in the Historical Records of the Forty-third Regiment, Monmouthshire Light Infantry, which also details the regiments movements etc

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...page&q&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Thanks you so much Peter, this has helped me a lot.
    Very much appreciate the help

Thank you so much for all your posts. Each one has led me a bit further and given me a lot to follow up.
    It has given me a good overview of his military service for the first few years anyway.I am guessing he may have gone as a "civvie" to India after he left the miltary as you suggested, as first child born there in 1831
    Very much appreciate the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast