Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BearPear

Smile quarter sessions query

Hello everyone, just wondering if someone could explain to me a phrase I have come across in the quarter sessions (dated 1834). The entry seems to be dealing with multiple cases all of the same type, naming a family and where they are and using the phrase "touching the removal of".
    For example, my family entry is - "Timble Great to Ilkley touching the removal of *names of family*". I was wondering if it was something to do with Parish Relief, moving families back to their parish of origin if they needed support. I know this family were local to Timble and had been in Ilkley on one of the censuses.

Thank you

Brick wall demolition expert!

If you claimed poor relief then the Guardians of that parish would make enquiries to see whether or not you where born there if not they would seek a removal order to send you back to the one you were born in so so those Guardians would be responsible.

It gets complicated by residency rights by being gained by marriage and child birth etc, and there are some pretty harrowing and egregious examples that can be listed.

Sometimes parishes would fight over who was responsible and they might end up in court.

It would be worth your while having a look at this web site as it has useful information on the poor laws. https://www.workhouses.org.uk

BearPear

Thanks Megan. I knew that relocation back to your own parish was a thing, I’m just not sure if the term “touching the removal” was the phrase that was used.
    It seems to be a fair bet that it was, or the alternative would be to do with eviction. There must have been 20 other families named (including children) on the record.

Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

The use of "touching the (whatever)" is old-fashioned meeting-speak for "Now on to the subject of (whatever)" and not specifically anything to do with removals. Sound quite strange now, but common in 19th century and earlier.

BearPear

Thank you Barbara, I don’t think that this would fit into the way this record is written; every entry is the same “placename to placename, touching the removal of family name” - repeated multiple times. If it was being used as a way to move on to the next subject I would expect to see a new topic, not a repeat of the same thing over & over.
    I think it must be a parish relief thing.

Reputation beyond repute

Barbara is quite correct. Do you not have access to the Oxford English Dictionary via your library service?

OED on 'touching':

Now somewhat archaic.
    In reference or relation to; as relates to; as regards; concerning.

Read it as meaning 'concerning' and all will become clear.

You may have come across it in modern speech when someone is asking if the meeting discussed their problem, and the other person responds. "Yes, we did touch on it briefly."

BearPear

I’m still confused! I see how it can be read as “we touched on that briefly”, but I don’t see how it fits with the record? It could just be me being dense.

Reputation beyond repute

See my message

As Peter says, you should read “placename to placename, touching the removal of family name” as if it said
    “placename to placename, CONCERNING the removal of family name”

Trust us, it IS so. Nothing peculiar going on!
    Barbara

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast