Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Born 1949 one of triplets

I am now 71 and have tried for years to find out about my womb companions since I found out about them when I was 21. It was a shock to the system, but once I knew I verified the information with my maternal aunt and grandmother. They were surprised I was never told. They did not know what the sex of the other two were and I have always wondered. I remember my Mother kept telling me “You were a survivor”. It took 20 years to understand what this meant.
    What I would like to know if these two babies were registered deaths and were they buried and if so, where?
    It would mean a lot to me to find out.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello, and welcome to British-Genealogy.

I will assume for the moment that you were born in England or Wales. If so, your birth should have made it to the free transcription of the GRO Index at https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.
    If either of your siblings were born living then their birth(s) will also have been entered in the same ledgers as you, so look for other births for the same surname and mother's maiden name as yours in the same registration district. They may be registered as Male or Female, and if so, will appear at the end of the named children.
    If the births were registered, then you will find their deaths registered. Possibly in the same quarter, but not necessarily in the same registration district. It's one of the British quirks that you could be born in a hospital that's in a different registration district to the one you lived in (and vice versa).

If the babies were stillborn, then their births will not be found in the public register, but in a special register, access to which is granted only to parents and siblings. Annoyingly (but typical of government departments!) they have removed the details about how to apply for certificates of stillborn children, so you will have to click the 'contact us' link and ask them to send copies of the special application forms.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    If the babies have birth and death registrations then you can order copies of the certificates from the GRO for £11 each.

I don't know what the procedure is for Scotland, but I suspect it's similar to England and Wales.
    For birth and death registrations you want Scotland's People. https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
    I'm afraid you'll have to read the small print because apart from knowing they have different restrictions regarding the dates of online information I don't know the dates involved.

I suspect Northern Ireland have similar restrictions regarding stillbirths. Again, I don't know about the availability of online registrations in the more 'recent years', i.e. since when you were born.
    https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/contacts...rthern-ireland
    (I'm sure some of their BMD registrations are online but can't find the link at the moment.)

If you were born elsewhere in the world, then I think the precedure would be similar. Find your birth registration details, and then ask the local authority about your siblings registrations.

I would have thought the babies would have been buried in a local cemetery, but that could depend on whether the hospital arranged burial or whether your parents did. But the first thing to find out is whether the babies were born alive, and if so, when they died.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

If you were to provide the surname and date and place of birth, we may be able to help.