Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Looking for John or Jane McClelland

A friend has been trying to find John and Jane McClelland in the census returns for 1881/1891 and 1901 – presumably in Lancashire. She wants to find young John’s parents to enable her to trace the family further back.

This is what she has discovered so far.

On the 1939 census John is living in Liverpool with his second wife Margaret and his son Joseph from his first marriage. He has given his date of birth as 2 April 1879.

In 1910 he married Mary Ann Duff in Liverpool; they had four children before Mary died in 1919. From their marriage certificate John gave his father’s name as John McClelland (deceased), Licensed Victualler. John married Margaret Perry (a widow) in 1924.

The only birth of a John McClelland in April 1879 occurred at Walton Workhouse – birth certificate records the mother’s name as Jane McClelland – no father recorded. And the date was 2 April 1879.

The above is the findings from my friend’s research which I have confirmed independently.

Subsequently I discovered a Jane McClelland admitted to the Walton workhouse in 1876 with an age of 17. I discovered a possible Jane (aged 12) on an 1871 census return where she was recorded as Niece.

I have tried using wild cards and phonetic spellings on Findmypast in my search for John (1879) and Jane on the three census returns listed above without success.

I used Familysearch to see if John had a birth record in Ireland and then Scotland’s People similarly for a birth north of the border. I did find one illegitimate John born in July 1879 in Scotland but his mother’s name wasn’t Jane.

I have a few questions in mind.

Is the birth certificate for John the correct one?
    If so was his mother married to a John McClelland, or was she an unmarried mother?
    Did Jane die before John’s marriage in 1910?
    If she never married did she tell John that his father’s name was John but didn’t mention his surname?

I am sure the sleuths on the forum will pose more questions. The first challenge though is finding John born 1879 in those three census returns.

David

David, have you tried locating John in 1911? You never know who else might be in the household to offer a clue to follow. pwholt

Growing old Disgracefully

John McClelland married Mary Ada Duff 1910, Lancastershire

1911 Census
    John Mc Clelland 32
    Mary Ada Mc Clelland 28
    John Francis Mc Clelland 0
    26 Bridge Rd Litherland
    Shopkeeper

Name: John McClelland AKA[John Gray]
    Death Date: 26 Nov 1943
    Death Place: Lancashire, England
    Probate Date: 21 Jan 1944
    Probate Registry: Liverpool, England

Left his estate etc to John Francis Mc Clelland

Looking at Jane McClelland again I have found 1891 Census with a Jane McClelland born Ireland age 49.
    With a daughter Annie Geddes single also born Ireland 1872.

Also with 7 other people names wrong .

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    David, have you tried locating John in 1911? You never know who else might be in the household to offer a clue to follow. pwholt
    Yes we have the 1911 census, thanks for the suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Name: John McClelland AKA[John Gray]
    Death Date: 26 Nov 1943
    Death Place: Lancashire, England
    Probate Date: 21 Jan 1944
    Probate Registry: Liverpool, England

Left his estate etc to John Francis Mc Clelland
    Now there is an intersting thing - AKA John Gray - thanks for the information

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Looking at Jane McClelland again I have found 1891 Census with a Jane McClelland born Ireland age 49.
    With a daughter Annie Geddes single also born Ireland 1872.

Also with 7 other people names wrong .
    I'll have a look at that census, thanks

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by David Tuson View Post
    The only birth of a John McClelland in April 1879 occurred at Walton Workhouse – birth certificate records the mother’s name as Jane McClelland – no father recorded. And the date was 2 April 1879.

The above is the findings from my friend’s research which I have confirmed independently.

Subsequently I discovered a Jane McClelland admitted to the Walton workhouse in 1876 with an age of 17. I discovered a possible Jane (aged 12) on an 1871 census return where she was recorded as Niece.
    The workhouse admission was for a MARY JANE McClelland, a teacher, who was admitted with fever.

On 29 Mar 1883 Mary Jane McClelland, Spinster of Kirkdale, d/o Robert McClelland, Licenced Victualler married Thomas Barnes, School Master at St Matthew, Liverpool.

In 1891 the Barnes family is in Lowton, Lancashire but there is no John with them. Mary Jane is 30 and her PoB is Belfast, but there is a sister with her named Elizabeth Emma McClelland, aged 20 and born Liverpool.

In 1871 she is Emily E and is in Kirkdale with her parents Robert & Eliza and siblings including Mary J, all born Co Down except Emma/Emily. I think this is her birth:
    MCCLELLAND, EMMA ELIZABETH mmn SCOTT GRO Ref: 1870 S Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 8B Page 343

The Jane McClelland aged 12 in 1871 was with a family from Scotland named CRAWFORD, so this looks like her birth:

MCLELLAN, JANE CARR mmn CRAWFORD GRO Ref: 1858 J Quarter in LIVERPOOL Volume 8B Page 38

Other children with the Crawford maiden name:

MCLELLAN, ARCHIBALD mmn CRAWFORD GRO Ref: 1862 S Quarter in LIVERPOOL Volume 08B Page 73
    MCLELLAN, CATHERINE ANN mmn CRAWFORD GRO Ref: 1864 D Quarter in LIVERPOOL Volume 08B Page 36

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    The workhouse admission was for a MARY JANE McClelland, a teacher, who was admitted with fever.

On 29 Mar 1883 Mary Jane McClelland, Spinster of Kirkdale, d/o Robert McClelland, Licenced Victualler married Thomas Barnes, School Master at St Matthew, Liverpool.

In 1891 the Barnes family is in Lowton, Lancashire but there is no John with them. Mary Jane is 30 and her PoB is Belfast, but there is a sister with her named Elizabeth Emma McClelland, aged 20 and born Liverpool.

In 1871 she is Emily E and is in Kirkdale with her parents Robert & Eliza and siblings including Mary J, all born Co Down except Emma/Emily. I think this is her birth:
    MCCLELLAND, EMMA ELIZABETH mmn SCOTT GRO Ref: 1870 S Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 8B Page 343

The Jane McClelland aged 12 in 1871 was with a family from Scotland named CRAWFORD, so this looks like her birth:

MCLELLAN, JANE CARR mmn CRAWFORD GRO Ref: 1858 J Quarter in LIVERPOOL Volume 8B Page 38

Other children with the Crawford maiden name:

MCLELLAN, ARCHIBALD mmn CRAWFORD GRO Ref: 1862 S Quarter in LIVERPOOL Volume 08B Page 73
    MCLELLAN, CATHERINE ANN mmn CRAWFORD GRO Ref: 1864 D Quarter in LIVERPOOL Volume 08B Page 36

Many thanks - some things to look into