Settling in

Default Late mother-in-law Frances Knox Irvine Alter.

Hi, I am trying to trace information for my husband. His late mother was Frances Knox Irvine Geddess Her date of birth was 11 May 1916/or 1917. (born in Pretoria) She was ?adopted(not sure if correct) by Ernest Otto Wegner. She married Conrad Johannes Alter in Pretoria, Tranvaal, South Africa in 1941. His date of birth 27 July 1907. Frances'S Date of death 13 August 1976 in Pretoria. My husband has no information about his mother's birth parents. He is also searching for information about his father Conrad Johannes Alter, Born 27 July 1907, in Rustenburg, Transvaal. Died 3rd November 1964 in Pretoria. His mother was Meta von Aaron Schild born in Hamburg, 29 February approx 1869. His father was Bruno Paul Alter born approx. 1870 in Germany. No other info available. Thanking you in anticipation, Cynthia Alter.

Have you already tried FamilySearch.org? I ran a quick search, just on Alter and South Africa, and the first record that came up is for a Bruno Paul A's death cert. There's info about his wife and children (eg wife's maiden name is von Ahrentschildt).

Looks as if her name was Gillies rather than Geddes. Here baptism is here.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Settling in

Tank you for the helpful and speedy assistance. I now need to trace the origin of the balance of her name .

Settling in

Thank you, very helpful, Cynthia Alter