Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You need Scotlandspeople site Here where you can purchase credits to view the original images.
    At the top RH of the home page are the links to the record guides and Buy credits. You have to join up but can do basic searches without buying credits until you find the records you need.

I am wondering if the Jane Johnstone who is listed on the census between Jemima and mary is the Jeannie referred to in the page of the diary you posted. Jeannie and Jane were interchangeable in Scotland.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Still exploring possibilities
    1861 Scotland census
    Bouskied Cottage, Tenandry, Perthshire
    William Johnston head 42 Land Steward born Berwickshire
    Jane wife, 47 born Salesbury, Wiltshire
    Mary Agnes daughter 8 born Kerry Ireland
    Ann Douglas, Servant 19 born Moulin, Perthshire

So is it possible that Mary Agnes knew Jemima before they started training together?
    They very well may have...I have just looked and there is reference to a 'charlotte richardson' in her diary which lines us with the census details.

Also interesting to note is the name William Johnstone...he is my grandfathers grandfather, I don't know his history prior to coming to Australia but there is reference to her pappa coming out to Australia.

We are trying to find the link to the diary as my grandfather just can't remember.

There is also reference to a 'Pewley Church' vault holding deceased family members.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Still exploring possibilities
    1861 Scotland census
    Bouskied Cottage, Tenandry, Perthshire
    William Johnston head 42 Land Steward born Berwickshire
    Jane wife, 47 born Salesbury, Wiltshire
    Mary Agnes daughter 8 born Kerry Ireland
    Ann Douglas, Servant 19 born Moulin, Perthshire

So is it possible that Mary Agnes knew Jemima before they started training together?
    That would seem a very good match for the 1871 census entry, Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by aplas87 View Post
    They very well may have...I have just looked and there is reference to a 'charlotte richardson' in her diary which lines us with the census details.

Also interesting to note is the name William Johnstone...he is my grandfathers grandfather, I don't know his history prior to coming to Australia but there is reference to her pappa coming out to Australia.

We are trying to find the link to the diary as my grandfather just can't remember.

There is also reference to a 'Pewley Church' vault holding deceased family members.
    I had been about to post a message when I saw your post.
    I was going to ask what's your grandfather's name, and where was he born. I presumed he's still alive, so the barest details (such as country) would suffice, but I think you need to confirm on his ancestors to see if you can positively connect him to the William Johnston Chris found in 1861. Be aware that Johnston(e) is quite a common name in Scotland, so don't just say 'that's him' without making sure that you've eliminated all other possibilities.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam,

My grandfather was born in Australia and his mother was Margaret Amelia Jane Nobbs (born 4 May 1883), her father was William Johnston who in 1882 was aged 24yrs and married an Australian woman in Sydney.

I hope this helps.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by aplas87 View Post
    Hi Pam,

My grandfather was born in Australia and his mother was Margaret Amelia Jane Nobbs (born 4 May 1883), her father was William Johnston who in 1882 was aged 24yrs and married an Australian woman in Sydney.

I hope this helps.
    I know I asked for your grandfather's name, but I decided that with the other information you've provided it wasn't needed so (because he's living) I've removed it.

Do you have the marriage certificate of the William Johnston who was 24 years old in 1882, and if so, what details are given re any parents, place of birth, etc? And/or what details are given about William on Margaret's birth certificate? If any details are missing on Margaret's birth certificate, did she have siblings who may have the missing details on their birth certificates?

Do you know when William arrived in Australia?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I know I asked for your grandfather's name, but I decided that with the other information you've provided it wasn't needed so (because he's living) I've removed it.

Do you have the marriage certificate of the William Johnston who was 24 years old in 1882, and if so, what details are given re any parents, place of birth, etc? And/or what details are given about William on Margaret's birth certificate? If any details are missing on Margaret's birth certificate, did she have siblings who may have the missing details on their birth certificates?

Do you know when William arrived in Australia?

Pam
    Morning Pam,

I have added Margaret's Birth Certificate into this linked folder. - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiMWwZjlpY1epSWK...yIPO2?e=s2zgIN

I am trying to track down the marriage certificate as well. I know Margaret had no siblings, she was an only child.

Thanks
    Alexandra

Knowledgeable and helpful

The links don't work - they only go to a page asking me to sign in to Microsoft One Drive

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Squaredancer View Post
    The links don't work - they only go to a page asking me to sign in to Microsoft One Drive
    Hi Squaredancer,

Others have been able to access the links - can you see this one?

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AiMWwZjlpY1epSj3qtLPr380VdwO

A

They are working for me.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

I get the same thing. Never mind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast