Thread: SHIELDS

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default SHIELDS

Researching John Shields, born about 1828 and his father, Stephen Shields, born about 1793 both in England. They immigrated to Ontario Canada before 1850. In 1850, John married Elizabeth Moore of the William Moore/Frances Embley family of Yorkshire, England. Would like to hear from anyone with like interests who can fill in some blanks.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Have you thoroughly researched the records of where they settled in Canada? All censuses, and especially newspapers for obituary entries. There may be clues to be found. In a relative,s will there was mention of two sons for his brother , unnamed,. It took a few years but by following the hints I found one son., And possibly the second as well. Pwholt

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

In 1850, John and Elizabeth Shields lived in the City of Burlington, Municipality Halton, Ontario Canada. 1860 they lived in Detroit, Michigan. 1871 Elizabeth, a widow, lived in Sandwich, Essex, Ontario Canada. I find her in the 1881 Cesus of Canada and I believe she died early 1890's. I have looked through some newspaper archives but not thoroughly. There are thousands of entries under John Shields. You mention a relatives will. I have access to Ancestry.com and Family Search. Have not seen anything like that.