Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitkethly

Default Pitkethly

I am trying to search my great great grandfathers james william pitkethly's history, along with his possible half sister (Louisa) they were born in british hondurus in the 1830's, can't find any details of his parents or how they come to be in british hondurus in that time. I know my great great grandfather ended up back in England but not sure if he came back as a child or an adult. Just curious. Would anyone have any information on how to obtain info, I'm getting nowhere.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Only had a quick look..on Familysearch. 1891 census James W Pikethly b 1839 Belize Brit / Married/ teacher of languages/ Wife Caroline b London / Son Kenneth age 1 b Hampshire / Louisa Binney, widowed,sister, age 50 b Belize Brit/ plus two servants.
    Will have another look later.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

Just for some background information to start us off your gggrandfather married Caroline Augusta Hammond December 1/4 1887 registration district Christchurch Hampshire vol2b page 1267
    They are together in the 1911 census with a son Kenneth Charles James age 21 and living in the top flat at 370 Cricklewood Lane.
    James has been blind for 34 years and he and Caroline have had 3 children born alive to the marriage one of which has died.
    James is in the London, England, City Directories, 1736-1943 in 1900 at 82 Strode rd, Occupation Laundry. He is listed again in 1894 but no Occupation given.
    In 1891 and 1901 his sister is living with him - a widow.
    Do you have his marriage certificate to Caroline Augusta Hammond? That will tell you his father's name and occupation and also should give James' marital status eg: single, widowed.
    The above information I got on ancestry.com but I also looked at Findmypast, another pay per view site, because they do have overseas births but I can't see one for James William or Louisa.
    Nothing came up on familysearch.org either but this is the page for Central American resources on Cyndi's List
    Others may be more help

So the earliest we have James in England is at his marriage to Caroline in 1887.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

There's a death notification for Caroline in

Hendon & Finchley Times 29 July 1927

It's rather a long announcement, in short, it says..............

Death took place on Monday of Mrs Caroline Augusta Pitkethly of Childs Hill a member of the Baptist Church. Wife of the late James William Pitkethly whose decease appeared in these columns in May 1917, he lost his sight when a young man and never saw his wife or children. Several poems composed by him were published in the Hendon Times during the war period over his initials.

Service conducted by Rev. Poulton, he made reference to having seen her in great happiness, as when her son Kenneth was married; in great sorrow when she parted with her beloved husband. She was laid to rest in the grave where husband was laid in Hendon Park Cemetery.
    Alma

Hendon & Finchley Times 18 May 1917

We regret to announce the death of Mr James William Pitkethly of Bagshot Surrey, well known in Childs Hill and connected to the Baptist Church.

Hendon & Finchley Times 13 January 1939

When I dropped in at St Dunstan's Hall Hendon to congratulate Mr and Mrs K C J Pitkethly on their silver wedding I was reminded by one of the guests that Pitkethly is an old Scottish name and the family hails from Perthshire, when Mr Pitkethly came to London his name was the only one in the telephone directory, now there are five. He thinks they must be distant relations. His father Mr James William Pitkethly was born in British Honduras, he was in Government offices in Honduras and while 300 miles away from civilisation surrounded by natives he was stricken with blindness, he got back to civilisation too late to save his sight.
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

You're on fire with those two finds, Alma.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    You're on fire with those two finds, Alma.

Pam
    The fire went out, Pam, I tried to sleep but had no luck so here I am shattered and sleepless.
    Alma

Good newspaper find about James William's time in the Honduras Alma.

The 1911 census says he had been blind for 34 years and the article says he went blind in the Honduras and got to England too late to save his sight. So 1911 - 34 = 1877 he was probably back in England in the late 1870's but did he go back or stay in England?
    As I said before the marriage certificate would help.
    I had noticed when searching that there were quite a few results in Scotland for the Pitkethly name.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Oh wow, thank you all for this info, I am a complete novice but so interested to find all I can. Would anyone know how I would find out how or why james father would have been in Belize (british Hondurus) back in the early 1800's, wondering maybe james mother may have been a native but that's just a theory, one post I read from someone suggested his sister who was born 2 years before him in 1837 was a half sister, all very intriguing. Thanks again for everyone's input so far

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen

1851 Census
    Address - 16 Clarence Street, St Cuthberts, Midlothian
    Jane Macdonald, head, Widow, age 40, Boarding Establishment, born Haddingtonshire
    Louisa Pitkethly, Boarder, Unm, age 14, Scholar at home, born Belize British Subject
    Emily Pilkethly, Boarder, Unm, age 10, Scholar at home, born Belize British Subject
    James Pitkethly, Boarder, Unm, age 12, Scholar at home, born Belize British Subject
    Household includes 1 other boarder and 2 servants
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast