Settling in

Default Royal Canadian Regiment

Hi Everyone,
    The information I have gained from this site in previous enquiries has been of invaluable assistance In negotiating awkward branches of my tree, so I am asking for help once again.
    I have experienced difficulty in locating details of the military service of my relative, Jack Dunhill (formerly Dunham), who enlisted in the RCR on 2 Dec 1935, and who's army number was 13231.
    I believe he was in the catering corps, that he came over to the UK at the beginning of WW2 but was sent back to Canada before fighting commenced. By 1938 he had been promoted to Sgt.

So far, all the enquiries I have made have pointed me back to the UK (I have a lot of info relating to his WW1 service already!)
    I appreciate that this is a British Genealogy site but any help you can give will be an immense help.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Regards
    PoppaB

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Service records for personnel who served in the British military after 1922 are still held by the Ministry of Defence and are not available to the general public.

Reading this, (open records/restricted records)
    https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discov...roduction.aspx
    it seems a similar situation applies in Canada with regard to service records after 1919.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Settling in

Thumbs up

Many thanks Pam, I guess I'll have to live with that until I can persuade some of his much closer relatives in Canada to apply in person.
    Its a convoluted case involving changes of name, an illigitimate birth, changes of birth date and an interesting interpretation of his WW1 service!
    I'll keep plugging away.

By the way, I note your support for XH558 - I too am a supporter! Too beautiful not to fly!

Thanks again

gary.s

PoppaB,
    Not sure if you read the access restrictions for applying for those records, but if your relative has been deceased for 20 years or more anyone can apply as long as proof of death is provided.

Gary.

Settling in

Thanks, Gary. I believe that jack died in 1975, but I have no proof as yet, so i think I'll have to leave it up to his family to check that side of thingsin due course. It's a bit of a sensitive issue as his immediate family believe his history to be as it was described by him, and at the moment, waves might be caused if they were told the facts. As a distant ancester I'm investigating remotely, to minimise family strife when the truth comes out!
    Thanks again
    PoppaB