Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Navigating this site

Hello everyone. I'm newly registered Henry's Grandad and I am having great difficulty finding my way round this site. One of the instructions I've read mentions a 'post' button or something on the forum sidebar. What side bar? Also, I have completed the form listing my interests, but have found no way of submitting it. I'm pretty sure I still have all my faculties, but now I am beginning to wonder. FAQs have not helped, I just keep going round in circles. Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong or omitting to do altogether?

Good afternoon Mr Grandad, and welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

My first question is whether you came to us via Forces War Records? Their layout is different to ours, and we do not have a side bar, hence my question.

I have had a look at your British Genealogy profile, and it shows an interest in 5 surnames, one being Attenborough. Is that correct? What else were you trying to do?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Henry's Grandad,

Like Lesley, I've been scratching my head about the 'side bar' and the post button, and precisely where you read it.

I think I might have solved the first part of the puzzle, but the second part of where you read it still remains a mystery.

If you look at your message, on the left hand side you see your name, then underneath Newcomer to BG, join date, location, and posts. I'm wondering if that's the 'side bar' to which you're referring, and if it is then 'post; should be 'posts', and refers to the number of posts you've made in the forum.

I then had further inspiration (not a thing I usually have in relation to technology!) and wondered if it was something you saw whilst registering, and completing the various boxes in 'settings' because there's a sort-of side bar in there with various links, though I can't see one which says 'post'. However, I'm signed in and have been registered for some time what I see might differ from someone who is newly-registering.

The most important thing is that you've registered (and however much by pure luck ) you've made your first post. The best way to inform other members of your surname interests is to post them in this thread
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...name-Interests
    Don't forget to add where they lived and approximate dates.

As regards posting a query about one of your ancestors, don't worry too much about which forum you post it in because one of the mods (moderators) can always move it to a more appropriate one. Though obviously if it's, say, a query about Staffordshire then don't post it in the Lancashire forum.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Good afternoon Mr Grandad, and welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

My first question is whether you came to us via Forces War Records? Their layout is different to ours, and we do not have a side bar, hence my question.

I have had a look at your British Genealogy profile, and it shows an interest in 5 surnames, one being Attenborough. Is that correct? What else were you trying to do?
    Hello Lesley
    Thanks for responding to my request for help.
    Yes, I did arrive at British Genealogy via Forces War Records. I am trying to determine the nature of a wound suffered by a soldier named Thomas Ferdinand Wharton in ww1. He was a sort of uncle ( it's a long story, don't ask) to my brother in law whose name is Attenborough.

Hello Pam
    Thank you to you too.
    When I registered and looked for instructions on posting messages I found a FAQ that appeared to be what I wanted. It was in the answer that the reference to a post button on the side bar appeared. However, more by luck than judgment, as you suggest, I seem to be up and running.
    Thanks again.

Reputation beyond repute

am trying to determine the nature of a wound suffered by a soldier named Thomas Ferdinand Wharton in ww1
    If you post the details, we'll have a look for you. Date and place of birth and regiment would be good. Regimental number would be very good.

I take it you are aware that most WW1 service records no longer exist, having been destroyed by enemy action in the WW2 blitz.

I can only see one Thomas F Wharton among the WW1 medal roll index cards, a Sapper in the Engineers.

The whole site is owned by FWR, but the British Genealogy Forum operates fairly independently in its little corner.

If you want the full explanation, written by one of my fellow Mods, it's HERE.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I've had further inspiration! (Yep, it surprised me too. )

If you click on the FAQ link in the blue banner across the top of the home page and then scroll to the bottom of the page, you will find there's a 'search the FAQ' option. Sticking in 'sidebar' as one word, one of the results I found said
    If you are allowed to post blog entries, you will always have a link at the top of the blog sidebar titled "Add new Post". This link allows you to post entries immediately, entries that will post automatically at a future date, or create a draft entry for later review and posting.
    However, that was in the section referring to blog entries, not general posts.

I do think the FAQ section is slightly confusing/misleading.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/forum/faq.php
    It's split into three sections -
    vBulletin CMS and talks about 'Articles'. I have read the opening paragraph and am none the wiser.
    vBulletin FAQ - which is the one regarding forum usage.
    Blog FAQ - again, not entirely obvious that this is not for forum users, but a different section of BG.

So, Henry's Grandad, if you need help in future read just the vBulletin FAQ section.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Ah, I would have given more information about my enquiry once I had found my way round the site. So, my man was Thomas Ferdinand Wharton and he appeared on a German list of allied prisoners of war. He is listed as private 235045, born 16 July 1897 in Swanwick, Derbyshire, of 1st Battn. The Leicestershire Regiment, captured at Lagnicourt on 22 March 1918. In the wounds column it says "granatspl", 1 leg and my query was going to be what is the full German word that has been abbreviated here? I am assuming it stands for some sort of injury caused by a grenade, but my knowledge of German is sketchy, to say the least.
    Regarding Medal Index cards, there is one for Thomas Wharton, private 15005, Sherwood Foresters, who arrived in France on 16 March 1915, and despite the disparity in regiments, I have reason to believe these are one and the same person. However, without the "burnt papers" you refer to I cannot prove it at the moment. I am hoping that the regimental archives will be able to shed some light on the matter.

Find My Past gives 2 numbers for him, both with the Leicesters - 5515 and 235045. This comes from his medal card held at the National Archives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast