Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Mining in South Africa

At some time before 1891 a young Cornish miner, William White, born 1864, went to South Africa. He was back in Cornwall before early 1899 when he married. After that time he was referred to as a farmer. He died in 1903, a victim of phthisis -a pulmonary disease frequently associated with mining.
    According to his will, at the time of his death he owned three properties and land in Cornwall, and two properties and stables in Jeppestown, Johannesburg. South African documentation refers to him as a farmer, of Germiston.
    I am keen to learn more of his life in South Africa and, more particularly, how he accumulated his wealth, which was almost certainly not inherited. I would greatly appreciate any help in my search.

Jeppestown was founded in or after 1886 - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeppes...as%20completed.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Famous for offering help & advice

I have no knowledge or expertise in this whatsoever - but reading the probate record on FamilySearch, under "assets" the phrase "Stand 592" keeps cropping up. As far as I can make out this perhaps refers to a plot of land on which the "stables and dwelling houses .... situate on Hond Sq., at the corner of Main and Ford Street, Jeppes Town" were located. So, for example, one of the assets is "rents derived from Stand 592, Jeppestown".

I googled the phrase - "Stand 592" Jeppestown - and bizarrely got a result, though not a particularly helpful one.

I don't see any references to mines or mining in that probate record.

Thanks both, for your interest.
    Interestingly Germiston, the other location with which he is associated, came into being at much the same time when gold was discovered in 1887.
    I have the image of an energetic, astute young man, taking advantage of the opportunities that lay before him. Having accumulated wealth through his mining activities, he then invested in property. But were is the evidence?

I have found reference to a publication, "Longland's Johannesburg and District Directory" which appears to have been produced annually(?) during the 1890s. Can anyone suggest how I might learn of its contents?