Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sue Broman

Default Military WW1 question on SWB

I would like to find out where my grandfather lost his leg in WW1 please.

I have his Medal Record and docs off Ancestry but no info on his wound. He was William Hall, attested on 6.2.1915 aged 33 (born 1886) and discharged 3.10.1919 (xvi). Served with 21 Battalion, Manchester Regiment 23654. Posted 28.8.1915. Silver War Badge B315 643.The 21sts served in France, at Mametz on the Somme and then went to Italy.

Also, on his Record Card I can't read where "theatre of war first served in" - ?B - not sure what the ? is.

I suspect this enquiry means visiting the National Archives. As I live in Australia what are my options here?

Many thanks.

Sue Broman
    Healesville Victoria

Reputation beyond repute

Also, on his Record Card I can't read where "theatre of war first served in" - ?B - not sure what the ? is.

Looks like 2B = Gallipoli. This ties up with the service record that says he was posted to the 11th battalion on 28-8-15 (date of entry therein). The 11th were involved in the Suvla Bay landing in Aug 1915.

Are you sure he lost his leg in the war?

I don't have access to Ancestry but understood that Ancestry and FMP military records reflected each other? FMP has 3 entries under " First World War Soldiers Medical Records"

Admitted "26 Aug 1818, No. 34 Casualty Clearing Station, GSW Thigh Left Leg, fractured femur lower 1/3"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Forces War Records has 5 entries for William - brief (very) entries re. his being wounded 1918 and an earlier hospitalisation (1917).
    His being wounded appeared -
    WEEKLY CASUALTY LISTS (WAR OFFICE & AIR MINISTRY), Tuesday 15 October 1918
    Page 4 (of 62)
    Wounded (Manchester Regiment)
    Hall 23654 W. (Manchester)

Reputation beyond repute

There's some sort of record of a disability pension in "UK, WWI Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923" indexed on Ancestry. document on Fold3 (if anyone has access.)

Also there may be a record in the National Archives PIN71/3030*
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C4359699

Unfortunately, it hasn't been digitised.

*This series is often overlooked which is a pity because you can find some gems there.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    I don't have access to Ancestry
    I don't know where in Wales you live but here in Carmarthenshire the library is giving free access to Ancestry Library Edition during the pandemic. Other areas might too 🙂

Diolch yn fawr.
    Simply logged into my library account and there it was.
    I'm in Swansea. Sadly, lockdown has put and end to our regular rail trip to Carmarthen for shopping/lunch. The ride along the estuary never fails to delight and a pint of Double Dragon in the Boar's Head now a distant memory.
    regards

Sue Broman

Thank you Peter. Gallipoli is a surprise. That defeat has a special place in the military history of Australia on Anzac Day.

How did you know the 11th went to Suvla Bay? Where could I read about that? Re the leg - one answer has found a record of an injury to his leg.

Many thanks.
    Sue Broman

Sue Broman

Thank you helachau. I can access FMP at our local library. It is 10 years since I started researching this person so maybe more information has come online. At the time I ran off all pages available - attestation etc.

Thank you for your help. I will go and have a look.

Regards
    Sue Broman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast