telman

Default ?? Richard Baker died 1812 monkton Kent

It has been awhile since I last posted on here but I have not been idle still the web becomes more complex.

I trying to trace the Adams family of Monkton Kent complicated by the fact there seems to be two strands living at that time

So Far I have managed to confirm the following Josiah Adams 1772 - 1822 was a blacksmith in Monkton he inherited the shop along with land from an uncle Richard Baker of Monkton

Here I am perplexed his mother was Ann Lyon and father was William Adams and yet he (Richard Baker) gifted the blacksmith shop to his nephew Josias Adams. Josiah's grandmother was Elizabeth Baker.

I was wondering if there is anyone in the Monkton or wider who has any information on any of the following families Adams Baker and Lyon Families

Richard according to probate had lands in Minster as well. I also have the will for Elizabeth Baker (spinster) who left gifts for the Adams Family William Adams Josiah's brother was a plumber and painter in Margate.

Sorry for the ramblings look forward to hearing from anyone who may be able to help. once again Thanks in anticipation.

More questions.. What children of his own did Richard have? What occupations did they end up doing?

Smithys tend to run in families, with the Master Smith often training his successor. It's possible that Josiah was the only male of the next generation who showed any interest/aptitude for it.

Kentish Weekly Post or Canrterbury Journal, 26 may 1812
    DEATHS
    May 18th, at Monkton, Mr Richard Baker, aged 80 years, formerly a blacksmith at that place.

Does "formerly" indicate that Richard had not been in harness for some while and Josiah was already in situ at time of death? I recall seeing "formerly" used to indicate deceased's situation at time of death.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Josiah left a widow (born Mary Sacket Watson Horton) and 13 children, born 1800-1816.
    Daughter Mary's baptism 18 Apr 1813 records Josiah's occupation as Blacksmith. The baptisms 1800-1812 are transcripts and cover a period when recording occupation was the exception. Cannot determine when Josiah took up the occupation of Blacksmith.

One of the sons, Sacket Adams, was carrying on the trade in the 1840s

FMP has the baptism of Richard Baker, bap 19 Dec 1731, St Mary Magdalene, Monkton, parents Robert and Elizabeth.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I'm not sure if it's me, or whether other people are equally confused by your post.
    It's headed Richard Baker but in the second sentence you say
    I trying to trace the Adams family of Monkton Kent complicated by the fact there seems to be two strands living at that time
    I appreciate the two families are linked
    So Far I have managed to confirm the following Josiah Adams 1772 - 1822 was a blacksmith in Monkton he inherited the shop along with land from an uncle Richard Baker of Monkton.
    but it doesn't help us to understand exactly what information you are looking for.
    Here I am perplexed his mother was Ann Lyon and father was William Adams and yet he (Richard Baker) gifted the blacksmith shop to his nephew Josias Adams. Josiah's grandmother was Elizabeth Baker.
    Is Baker Elizabeth's maiden name or married name, and exactly how is she Josiah's grandmother if either her daughter was called Ann Lyon or her son was called William Adams?
    I was wondering if there is anyone in the Monkton or wider who has any information on any of the following families Adams Baker and Lyon Families.
    You need to tell us what information you already have on the families and exactly what else to want to know. This saves people wasting time searching for, and then telling you. stuff you already know.

Richard according to probate had lands in Minster as well. I also have the will for Elizabeth Baker (spinster) who left gifts for the Adams Family William Adams Josiah's brother was a plumber and painter in Margate.
    Is this the Elizabeth who's Josiah's grandmother, or another Elizabeth?

For reference, to help the BG sleuths, here are your other threads re the families.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...s-Monkton-Kent
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...f-thanet-stuck
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...kton-Kent-1822

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

telman

Sorry for the confusion, but I am a novice at all this Folks!.

What would be really helpful would be an information of on the Adams, Baker, Lyon families at present particularly circumstances of the death Josiah so quickly after the death of his 14 year old son 1n 1822.

Josiah Adams blacksmith circa 1772-1822 Also overseer of Monkton in 1819 as revealed in local paper. buried at St Mary Magdelene Monkton.

Josiah was married to Mary Sackett Watson Horton. and had 13 children.

Josiah's parents were Wm. Adams and Ann (nee Lyon)Adams married in joint ceremony with Ann's cousin Sarah at St. Bartholomew the great in London. in 1772

Ann's parents (Josiah's mother) was daughter of Josiah Lyon of St. Nicholas at wade. married to Elizabeth Baker. (enter the Baker family) out of interest Josiah was brother to Rev John Lyon.

From Various wills it said that Richard gifted to his sister Elizabeth Baker and his sister Ann Adams we now think that is should have been Sister-in-law although transcript says Sister. As we can identify no trace of a sister called Ann.

We can find no reference to the parents of William Adams born circa 1739 (apart from the baptism in St Johns Margate to John and Martha Adams but this cannot as yet be verified. buried in St Mary Magdalene Monkton

There is no question that there was a strong blacksmith connection, With George Baker Richards father (to be confirmed) and Josiah Lyon being in the trade.

Two of Josiah Adams children were blacksmiths with Sackett Adams continuing in Monkton and John Adams at Little Brook Farm.

Hope this clears up the confusion hope all is correct as I am doing this at present from memory.
    Than you in anticipation

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by telman View Post
    Sorry for the confusion, but I am a novice at all this Folks!.

What would be really helpful would be an information of on the Adams, Baker, Lyon families at present particularly circumstances of the death Josiah so quickly after the death of his 14 year old son 1n 1822.

Josiah Adams blacksmith circa 1772-1822 Also overseer of Monkton in 1819 as revealed in local paper. buried at St Mary Magdelene Monkton.

Josiah was married to Mary Sackett Watson Horton. and had 13 children.

Josiah's parents were Wm. Adams and Ann (nee Lyon)Adams married in joint ceremony with Ann's cousin Sarah at St. Bartholomew the great in London. in 1772

Ann's parents (Josiah's mother) was daughter of Josiah Lyon of St. Nicholas at wade. married to Elizabeth Baker. (enter the Baker family) out of interest Josiah was brother to Rev John Lyon.

From Various wills it said that Richard gifted to his sister Elizabeth Baker and his sister Ann Adams we now think that is should have been Sister-in-law although transcript says Sister. As we can identify no trace of a sister called Ann.

We can find no reference to the parents of William Adams born circa 1739 (apart from the baptism in St Johns Margate to John and Martha Adams but this cannot as yet be verified. buried in St Mary Magdalene Monkton

There is no question that there was a strong blacksmith connection, With George Baker Richards father (to be confirmed) and Josiah Lyon being in the trade.

Two of Josiah Adams children were blacksmiths with Sackett Adams continuing in Monkton and John Adams at Little Brook Farm.

Hope this clears up the confusion hope all is correct as I am doing this at present from memory.
    Than you in anticipation
    still no further forward. although we know that there were adams's in Mounckton (monkton) in 1603 as they bought land no idea if they are related.
    does any one know if there i ther a list of gravestone and inscriptions for St Magdelane in monkton.
    Does any one have of come across any information of the adams of monkton prior to 1822
    thank you