Default What does 1914 Royal Army Service Corps mean?

Since the Army Service Corps wasn't given the Prefix Royal until much later when it became RASC, what does a record index that says 'Name 1914 Royal Army Service Corps 'mean? Does 1914 have any suggestion as to when the person may have enlisted?
    David

I think you're going to have to tell us a bit more before anyone has an idea.
    What is this the index to? Is it original, or a transcription?

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums David
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.

This article on The Long Long Trail website explains abour letter prefixes attached to a soldiers army number and also says that some divisions of the (R) ASC had number prefixes.
    eg:- S for Supply. Often accompanied with a number, denoting recruitment into the appropriately numbered Kitchener (New) Army.
    Whether this applies to the 1914 number you have or whether it denotes the year 1914?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

If you are talking about a medal index card, they were written during and after the war, so the clerk would have known it as RASC, see - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_...ply%20Branches. It was given Royal title in 1918.
    1914, is it his service number?
    MIC's don't usually show when a person enlisted, only when they first entered a theatre of war.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Default Does the year mean anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I think you're going to have to tell us a bit more before anyone has an idea.
    What is this the index to? Is it original, or a transcription?
    In the War Forces records I find a soldiers name (my relative)and regimental number followed by exactly '1914 Royal Army Service Corps'. I believe the soldier in question was conscripted in late 1917 and can't understand why the year 1914 appears alongside Royal Army Service Corps as if someone was in that branch of the service in 1914 it was called Army Service Corps. There is also a record for the same soldier stating '1922 Royal Fusiliers' with his correct regimental number when the soldier in question had been killed in 1918.

Hi

Without knowing full details, I think it is a transcription error. I am of the opinion it is always better to look at the original document/s.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

Reputation beyond repute

When Lesley asked for "a bit more" information, I think she really meant "quite a lot more". For example, his name and number and description of the index (what is it indexing?).

The purpose of an index is to point to the location of the original document. It is dangerous to make assumptions about what the index means without going to the original data.

What I meant was do any of these records (originals may be lost in fire) indicate that the soldier (and I think they all refer to same man who died in Egypt in 1918) was actually serving in 1914 or just that he was serving during 14-18?
    David Gluck J/125 Private 1914 Royal Fusiliers
    David Gluck J/125 Private 1918 London Regiment
    D Gluck 259574 Private 1914 Royal Army Service Corps
    D Gluck 125 Private 1914 Royal Fusiliers (London Regiment)
    D Gluck J/125 Private 1918 38th Royal Fusiliers

HI

According to his medal index card, which you can view on Ancestry even if you are not a member, it shows he only got the pair, so only served overseas in a theatre of war from 1916.
    CWGC record - https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c.../gluck,-david/
    Ancestry also has Pension Ledger and Index Card, Register of Soldiers Effects and 3 references to the Jewry Roll of honour. What the above lists mean, they may refer to those records, but whoever transcribed them, as looking at them on Forces War Records (the heading for the years does say record year) may have just put in 1914 as that was when the war started. I think the 1914 one just refers to his medals, just poor transcribing.
    I think the RASC entry is an error, searching NA UK for a medal index card for Gluck 259574 gives no results and searching ancestry for the number 259574 only gives - Thomas C Bott Royal Engineers 259574,
    again don't rely on transcriptions when the originals are available on another site.
    Other than that, well yes they probably are different records for the same person.

regards

Robert
    Remembering