Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    drmike789

Default GRO marriage index abbreviation DD

Does anyone know what the abbreviation DD means on a GRO marriage index entry?

Famous for offering help & advice

Can you give us an example please, its hard to comment without knowing exactly what you are referring to.

Where on the certificate? If it's under "occupation", consider a common meaning, "Doctor of Divinity".

drmike789

Sorry for the lack of detail. The entry is not on a certificate but on the England & Wales, Civil Registration Marriage Index, 1837-1915.

James Stanley Harrison 1801 married for a second time in 1838/Q2. His index entry has DD next to it:

https://is.gd/hGMygW

I don't often look at the index but, in this case, his wife's entry had been lost so I went to look for it. I've since noticed that quite a number of entries are followed by letters - usually A, B and C.

Any thoughts?

Reputation beyond repute

Vol 25 Page 16DD
    It's just part of the page number. We don't need to know what it means. You use it to order a copy of the certificate.

If you used FreeBMD you'd be able to use their diagnostics. If you look at all the Bootle marriages for that quarter, you'll see page numbers like 16E, 16D, 16DD, 16F, 16A....

drmike789

I think you've got the right answer, Peter. There were 51 marriages registered in Bootle in 1838 - all have a letter after them, so it was some system the local registrar's office used. But not so in the New Forest or Kings Norton where many (most?) don't have a letter.

FreeBMD posits it was because of a late entry and the letter gives the month of registration. Not sure which months B and C represent ...

It's always good to know what things mean ... might provide an important clue.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Vol 25 Page 16DD
    It's just part of the page number. We don't need to know what it means. You use it to order a copy of the certificate.

If you used FreeBMD you'd be able to use their diagnostics. If you look at all the Bootle marriages for that quarter, you'll see page numbers like 16E, 16D, 16DD, 16F, 16A....
    All the quarters for Bootle in 1838 have similar letters beside them. As do the two quarters in 1837.
    My guess is that the marriage registers from Bootle (the one in Cumberland) were late being sent to the GRO and because the page numbers had already been allocated the late arrivals had to be recorded as 16AA, 16BB, 16CC, etc. Bit like if a house is split into flats - you can't renumber all the houses in the street, so the flats become 1a, 1b, 1c, etc.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

so it was some system the local registrar's office used
    Well, not really. See Pam's post. The local register office doesn't allocate the page number, GRO numbers them to reflect the filing system used by GRO.

I'm not sure about the late receipt explanation. Quarterly marriage returns are sent directly from the church to GRO (not via the register office) and it's hard to envisage them all being late.

Knowledgeable and helpful

My quarterly returns go to the register office for Wiltshire, not directly to GRO.I'm even sent a stamped envelope to do so. pwholt

Reputation beyond repute

My quarterly returns go to the register office for Wiltshire, not directly to GRO
    Isn't this something to do with the computerised system? Data now makes its way electronically to GRO but churches don't have terminals!

It's certainly not my understanding of the way the system used to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast